Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

February 18th, 2016 11:00

Will Backup and Restore (Windows 7) work with Win 10?

I've been trying to use Backup and Restore (Win 7) with Windows 10. Is this workable and dependable or a mistake.

• 

16.7K Posts

February 19th, 2016 05:00

ndewanet,

You cannot use Windows 7 DBAR with Windows 10. Below is information on how to restore Windows 10.

Reset or reinstall Windows 10 on your Dell computer

Create Windows 10 recovery media for your Dell computer

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

February 19th, 2016 14:00

Win 10's own Backup & Restore (Windows 7)...

...is very workable & dependable making its image set...

I will be sorely disappointed & shocked to discover it won't work on the day I should need to restore the image set. I have boot my recovery partition (SHIFT+Restart) & taken it to the verge of a restore. The image set was identified & offered to me. I stopped a click away from restoring it!

The system image is not accessible for restore within Win 10, that I can see. However, it can be accessed this way...

(1) Plug in the external drive that has your Windows system image on it.

The image must be in the "WindowsImageBackup" folder in the root (top) directory.

(2) Hold Shift, & click Restart.

A "Choose an Option" screen shows up. This is the Windows recovery environment. It's a separate partition on the HDD. This may be done before or after you have boot to Windows, as there is a power icon at the sign-in page...

If you can't even get to the sign-in page, then you'll have to boot to the recovery partition (or the recovery USB drive, if you made one) directly from BIOS.

(3) Select the "Troubleshoot" option.

More options show up.

(4) Select "Advanced Options".

More options show up.

(5) Select "System Image Recovery".

It may not show up, if the external drive was not plugged in before boot. A lot goes on now: some black screens, a Dell logo screen, a "preparing system recovery" message, another black screen. It's pretty quick, though, & - in the end - you get a "System Image Recovery" screen that lists user accounts by full user name.

(6) Click a user name from the list.

You will be asked to sign in to your account. I suppose this step wouldn't happen, if you've set up an account that doesn't require signing in.

(7) A "Select a System Image Backup" requestor shows up.

The requestor shows the name of the drive that has the image & the date of the image. It will offer to restore the most recent image, which is pre-selected. (That's the only one - actually - you may choose, though it pretends to have a way to choose another. There is no other.)

Everyone should practice this - see whether you can get to this point - see all the tools available. But don't actually have it do the restore until it is necessary. (I've never had to do one.)

WARNING: I've read one must not boot to (& use the tools of) a recovery environment other than that of the version of Windows (Win 10 now) you've currently got. That's assured, if you boot the Recovery partition. If - instead - you boot to a Recovery USB drive or DVD drive - ensure that it was created by the system you are repairing.

No Events found!