Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 5th, 2018 06:00

Windows 10 takes too much space on my laptop's SSD disc

Hi

I'm very new here on this community and I hope my question (I'm looking for help) is posted correctly.

I was searching for help online on various websites and forums, but didn't find quite the right answer.

I have a Dell laptop with 128 SSD disc, then I have my external 1TB disc for film, pics, videos etc. The thing is I have chosen this laptop with SSD disc, the laptop to be quick and fast. But recently I have noticed that the system's files, specially Windows files takes enormous space on my disc, almost 70GB! 

I've found some information what to do, like compresing files etc., but I never managed to fix it properly.

I have also read that windows are generating some kind of back up files, but I'm not really a tech and I don't want to delete something which is important for running the system.

I don't have any other programs on my laptop, just a few, almost nothing else as there is not space at all, almost everything is for system.

I'm looking for a help what can I do to reduce the size of my windows or system files, to be able to use my laptop properly, as I'm not able to update my system anymore because there is not any space for it anymore.

Is there somebody who can help me please, what can I do. I'm happy to provide any screenshots but need instructions.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Kind regards,

Lukas alias Boztek

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 5th, 2018 08:00

Use Windows' Disk Cleaner to remove previous Windows updates files and all unnecessary files. There will be several gigabytes worth.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 6th, 2018 09:00

This is common problem on tablets and mini laptops with small ssd drives. Those devices are not meant to be used as full sized desktop and laptop replacements. They are for connecting to the Internet and that's about all they can handle. You are doing the best you can by adding an external drive and using that for storage. Be sure that any added files are downloaded to and stored on that external drive. Windows automatically chooses the C drive for downloads unless you change it. Here are some tips that might be needed when using Windows Update 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013876/windows-10-freeing-up-space-to-install-latest-update 

2 Posts

September 11th, 2018 21:00

I had this exact same system with my Latitude 7280. The system file that was causing my error was Windows.edb. It was a windows indexing file that had grown to 68.1GB (it should be only a couple GB). Deleting the file fixed my issue immediately and I rebuilt the file using this website: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-edb-file  

To actually find the file I used TreeSize (it's freeware). I tried unhiding every single item in the C: drive and it wouldn't populate, so that's why I needed the program. Link to that program is here: https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/ 

Hope this helps!

No Events found!