Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

1 Message

June 20th, 2022 15:00

Windows is recovery not working.

I have a XPS 8930, last night something happened that wrecked windows 10, I tried to do a recovery from the cloud but that wrecked it even worse, that now I can’t even get into safe mode, I used another pc to download a recovery windows 10 from Dell, I have the usb but the pc is giving me no options to recover from USB Drive, F12 pulls up the menu but no USB options, OS recovery just sits in loading, I restored windows on pc’s in the past, just nothing this frustrating to the point where I am considering taking it to a shop.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this usb restore to work?

Thanks All.

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

June 20th, 2022 15:00

Worse case scenario, do a clean install since the Windows files could be badly corrupted by now.

1 Rookie

• 

403 Posts

June 20th, 2022 23:00

It's possible that something is wrong with the recovery media you downloaded/built. The F12 menu won't display a drive (SATA as well as USB) that it judges doesn't contain a bootable image. You might try building install media using Microsoft's media creation tool. There are some tips here, including returning your BIOS to default settings; however you shouldn't have to switch off Secure Boot or enable legacy boot support to boot the Microsoft install media.

I'm not sure whether your model offers this, but you could also try SupportAssist OS Recovery from the boot menu, which restores from the Dell recovery partition (assuming it's intact) or the internet. For the network option, the Wi-Fi support in the BIOS isn't great in my limited experience, so you might want to connect the system directly to your router with an ethernet cable.

3 Posts

June 27th, 2022 09:00

Hi RayL1967,

There may be a physical fault (e.g. faulting hard drive) preventing any recovery from working. I would suggest opening the Diagnostics option from the F12 boot menu and running a full diagnostic.

162 Posts

July 5th, 2022 00:00

Solution : Reset System Restore Storage Setting
Try to increase the Max Usage setting in the System Protection window to increase the space to store more restore points. You can also remove unnecessary restore points manually to increase the storage space.

A. Increase the Max Usage Setting
Follow the below steps to increase the Max Usage setting:

Type ‘Create a restore point’ in Windows Search Box and open System Properties.
Navigate to the System Protection tab and click Configure
Now, select ‘Turn on system protection’.

Next, drag the Max Usage slider to increase the storage space and click OK.
Once done, close the window and check if the problem is solved.
B. Delete Old System Restore Points
To delete old System Restore points, follow these steps:

Go to the Windows Search box in Windows 10, type Disk Cleanup to open it.
The drive C: will be selected by default. Click OK to proceed.
The utility will start searching for space available for cleaning.

Now, if you see the More Options tab, open it.
Next, click Clean up… under System Restore and Shadow Copies.
Click Delete to proceed further.

The utility will delete all your old restore points.

If you don’t see the More Options, you can click ‘Clean up system files.’ It will also help you scarce storage space on your system to save more restore points
Finally, reboot your system and check if the System Restore is working now.

Greeting,

Rachel Gomez

No Events found!