Highlighted
1 Copper

RE: XPS One 2710 (Mid 2012) and Windows 10

Felt I should update this almost a year later.  

With the deadline for free Windows 10 fast approaching and a year of being stuck on Windows 8 to avoid the "fried motherboard" issue now that I'm out of my extended warranty, I decided to just write off the XPS One as it's a bit slow anyway (I got the *** i5 version because the i7 version wasn't availabe at the time I purchased).  I figured I might as well give the Windows 10 upgrade a final try 10 minutes before the midnight deadline expired because Dell had hinted that if I waited new updates were being made all the time and an upgrade might be possible in future.

Four days later with all the latest updates applied it's still working!!!!!

My guess is that in the year between the original Windows 10 update and now they fixed a lot of stuff and put it into the core upgrade download. Certainly the process is a LOT smoother now than it was a year ago (I also did a clean install on my laptop which I'd successfully updated to Windows 10). New screens as you do the install indicate the process has been dramatically changed and maybe that is why the upgrade this time appears to have gone OK.  Even running "Windows Update" after the upgrade only applied two patches requiring one reboot where the original upgrade kept finding new updates that were needed and new reboots - at which point the motherboard would get fried.

So for those holding off because of all the problems there is a glimmer of light IF (and only if) my latest experience is typical - but undertake the upgrade at your own risk. It appears to have worked for me after 3 failures and replaced motherboards after the original update, but it might not work for you!  This was to a machine with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 that Dell had applied after replacing the motherboard.

You might be thinking "What's the point? Windows 10 isn't free any more" in which case this article might prove useful: www.theverge.com/.../microsoft-windows-10-free-upgrade-still-available

Highlighted
7 Thorium

Let us know how it fares with Windows 10 RS1 out tomorrow...

Dr Philip Yip
Tech Enthusiast and Author of the Unofficial Dell Windows Reinstallation Guide

Windows FAQs and OEM Downloads

#IDoNotWorkFor Dell
Highlighted
1 Copper

Well, more than a year has now passed and Dell has done... NOTHING.

Oh, I am shocked!

Thank you, Dell.  From the bottom of my heart, Thanks... for NOTHING.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Well, more than a year has now passed and Dell has done... NOTHING.

Oh, I am shocked!

From the bottom of my heart, Dell, thanks... for NOTHING.

5 Tungsten

They are not going to.  As they stated when Windows 10 came out, the XPS 2710 is NOT supported.