Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2016 04:00

how to disable Dell Updates?

Hi Friends,

I do not wish to receive Dell Updates.  How can I disable them?

Thank you very much :emotion-1:

• 

17K Posts

September 21st, 2016 05:00

brynn4,

Below are steps to disable/uninstall Dell Updates.

STEP 1

Click the "Start" button, type "Run" in the search box and hit "Enter." Type "msconfig" in the dialogue box and hit "Enter."

STEP 2

Click on the tab "Services" in the new dialogue box. Find "SupportSoft sprtcmd" in the list and uncheck it.

STEP 3

Click on the tab "Startup" to see another list. Find and uncheck "dscactivate" and/or "SupportSoft sprtcmd."

UNINSTALL
STEP 1

Click the "Start" button and access the Control Panel.

STEP 2

Open "Add or Remove Programs" . Open "Programs and Features"

STEP 3

Select Dell Support Center and uninstall it from the computer.

• 

17K Posts

September 21st, 2016 07:00

Brynn4,

My apologies. Below is information to disable in  Windows 10.

Step 1

Click "Start | All Programs | Dell Support Center | Dell Support Center Alerts." The Dell Support Center program window opens.

Step 2

Select "User Settings" and select the "Alerts" tab.

Step 3

Select "Disable" beneath Notification in the Notification Settings section. Dell Support Alerts are automatically disabled.

3 Posts

September 29th, 2016 02:00

Disable Launching at Startup

Step 1

Press "Win-R," type "msconfig" and press "Enter" to run System Configuration.

Step 2

Click the "Startup" tab and uncheck any Dell support programs. You can identify Dell programs by looking in the Manufacturer or Command columns for "Dell." Programs associated with the Dell Support Center are "dsca.exe," "sprtcmd.exe" and "sprtsvc.exe."

Step 3

Click "OK" and then restart your computer.

Uninstall Dell Support Center

Step 1

Click "Start," type "add or remove programs" into the dialog box and press "Enter."

Step 2

Right-click "Dell Support Center" and select "Uninstall." Follow the prompts to complete uninstallation.

Step 3

Click "Yes" to confirm removal and follow the onscreen prompts.

19 Posts

September 21st, 2016 07:00

Oh, thank you so very much!  

I will try to disable, rather than uninstall.  However, I don't see a search box in the start menu.

If it's the search box called "Cortana", I disabled it, because it seemed like a gimmick.  Plus, the taskbar is not the best place for it, for me.  If that's the one, can you tell me how to re-enable it.  And also maybe tell me how I can put is somewhere else besides the taskbar, and I will be able to keep it open.

If that's not it, how do I get the search box to be visible?

19 Posts

September 21st, 2016 08:00

Oh wait!  It does have Updates option!  My eyes are going crossed trying to figure out how to make this new system work the way I want.

Anyway, thanks for your help.  Hopefully that will solve the problem  :-)

19 Posts

Hhmm, nothing called Dell Support Center there.  I tried some that were similarly named, but none have any "User Settings" area.

19 Posts

Oh -- Whoops, we posted so close together, I didn't see you're 2nd instructions.  I'll try.

19 Posts

Coincidentally, I found instructions to get the run search box, while trying to find help with one of the other many problems I'm having with Windows 10 (not that I'm saying those problems are Dell's fault, but Win10 is the worst of all the MS operating systems I've used).

Ok, I've got msconfig and the Services tab, but "SupportSoft sprtcmd" isn't in the list.  Could it be called something else?  Like maybe it has "microsoft" or "windows" in front of it?

Thanks again

19 Posts

Ok, in Support Assitance, I found Settings, which opens a small wilndow called "Desktop Alerts for Notifications".

However, it doesn't have anything about "updates".  It has options like Hardware, Software, Drivers, Security, etc.  Do I need to uncheck them all?  Or is this not the right place yet?

19 Posts

September 25th, 2016 00:00

Update.

In fact, that did not solve the problem.  But I think I did find the solution.  I went Start > All Apps > Windows Administrative Tools > Component Services > Local Services.  Right-click Dell Update Services > Stop.

When I did that, the update notification literally disappeared off my screen!  I think it will be a final solution, but I'll post again, if I still need help.

Thanks again  :-)

19 Posts

September 28th, 2016 19:00

Another update.

Well, somehow that service was restarted.  I stopped it again, this time using the Properties dialog, instead of right-click > Stop.  There was a 2nd option in Props dialog (don't remember what it was atm).  So maybe that will keep it stopped permanently.

Who knows, but I have my fingers crossed.  Will update again, if that didn't stop them.

19 Posts

October 2nd, 2016 08:00

Oh wow, thank you very much!

So far, I haven't gotten any further updates.  So if I continue not to get them, I'll probably leave well enough alone.  But if they come back, I certainly will follow your more comprehensive steps to actually uninstall it.

Thanks again  :-)

1 Message

January 14th, 2018 10:00

Thanks for your persistence and for posting updates. This was SUCH an annoying "feature."  Dell would demand updates within minutes of my having updated!

1 Message

February 8th, 2018 01:00

Hello!

I would like to know how to change settings in Dell SupportAssist app for Drivers and Downloads? Somehow I have checked automatic update for Urgent Driver updates. How can I change these settings? I would like to update all Drivers through SupportAssist manually not automatic.

Thanks in advance,

Maris  

No Events found!