Highlighted
konick
Copper

not able to create a recovery drive

I have a brand new precision 3510 ( win10 64bit ) and as instructed tried to create a recovery drive through windows.

The problem is that when having the "backup system files to the recovery drive" box checked, the process is stuck at please wait.

When I uncheck the box the usb flash  is found and recovery is created, but the size is only 378 mb and obviously does not contain the system files, making it almost useless.

Any solution?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Saltgrass
Ruthenium

RE: not able to create a recovery drive

I think I would start by running a System File Check.  If one of the system files is not accepted it might cause a problem.

Open an administrative command prompt and type the command below.  Let it finish and let us know what response you get.

SFC /scannow

What size USB drive are you using?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
konick
Copper

I did the scan, but no problem found

"Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>"

I used both a 16 and a 32 gb usb drive .

Nothing happened with either of  them.

Still "please wait" for ever

Thanks for the reply anyway.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Ruthenium

Not sure what else to mention.  You might try running DISM by just typing the command to see if it gives you the options.  If it isn't working, the image for Win 10 will not be created.

As far as I know, the process copies over the Repair Tools, which yours seems to be doing, and then creates, on the fly, and image for Win 10.  Somewhere in there is picks up any OEM options for reinstalling the Factory provided utilities.

So, it may be breaking down making the image or trying to gather some info it needs.  But just guessing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
Ruthenium

I just made a Recovery Drive for the new Win 10 build.  It took about 35 minutes and I used the same 32 GB drive I had used for the prior build.

There may be a file named setupact.log in the Windows\Logs\RecoveryDrive folder.  You might be able to see what errors are being generated.

Last year, I had a system I had changed the default OEM partition configuration.  The recovery drive would not make until after I returned it to the Original configuration.

0 Kudos
DougaLock
Copper

Re: not able to create a recovery drive

I had the same problem with my new Dell XPS13.  So I finally bought a 32 gb flash drive and was then successful in creating a recovery drive.  The files on my flash drive are over 19 gb so a 16 gb flash is just not large enough.

0 Kudos