5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 12th, 2022 02:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Dell XPS 15 7590; Windows 11 22H2; problems when secure boot is enabled

XPS 15 7590

XPS 15 7590

Hello.  I recently updated my Dell XPS 15 7590 from Windows 11 to version 22H2.  After 3 failed attempts where the software downloads and installs, but it did not get past the bootup screen on restart (i.e. the Dell logo in white on a black background).  It automatically uninstalls the upgrade and restarts Windows.  I read a forum that said try disabling the Secure Boot, which I did - and it worked! However, now if I go back into the Bios to enable the Secure Boot again, I get a blue screen with stop code: inaccessible boot device.  If I disable the secure boot, everything is fine! 

Does anyone have advice on how to successfully resolve this?   I want to enable the secure boot without running into an error with the newly updated Windows 11 22H2. 

thank you! 

March 7th, 2023 08:00

For me the update was offered and for several other people here as well if you read the posts.
For some people disable secure boot worked, for others disable VT for direct IO.
So it's not related to the fact how you install. But anyways: There's still some hope...

I run this in the live chat since 4th of February. I'm still on warranty.
I received the description how to update Win10 from 1803 to 1809,
the message that Win11 Pro is not supported, reset windows, and other ridiculous proposals.
But never just the simple confirmation that they read and understand the issue, confirm the bug and creating a case number.
Now they just asked me if they could close the case. My answer was: No. It's not solved.

I sadly think that your case is just one exception as my 7590 is running Win 11 21H2 and windows update is offering me the 22H2 update since months (I never tried again after the BSOD). Last week I let my pc run all night for a backup and I woke up in the morning with the 22H2 update automatically downloaded and ready to be installed (before it was optional) so I have now paused the updates at all waiting for a VERY long awaited solution that will probably never arrive. 

• 

25.1K Posts

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

• 

25.1K Posts

Hello,

We see you are looking for technical assistance. We request you to start a direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

106 Posts

I also had the 22H2 forced on to me - it was installed in the background without my involvement and then it said it needed a reboot to finish off.

Needless to say - it went on to crash at the first opportunity 

Not good AND NOT RESOLVED

March 11th, 2023 18:00

The most recent news from the support chat as of today:

"Somebody is trying to contact me?
I haven't seen a new BIOS on the website.
Any other new information regarding the bug?" 

"Dell Cares: No worries,
You will soon get it fixed in next Windows update ,
Be rest assured."

That would be next tuesday 2023-03-14. We'll see...

March 13th, 2023 04:00

Will see if that means an update package to fix the problem on Win 11 22H2 or a "new" cumulative update to upgrade from Win11 21H2 to 22H2 without getting the BSOD. 

Artur please keep us posted  

Thanks and finger crossed!!

22 Posts

March 14th, 2023 13:00

The simple answer is the June 2019 released Dell XPS 7590 is not capable of running Windows 11 in a business environment or running virtualization software. It certainly should not be Windows 11 certified. The original problem was submitted 5 months ago. Similar issues were reported with VT-d in the bios being disabled.

Actually it's one or the other.  

Secure Boot enabled VT-d disabled. This disables Microsoft GPU Provisioning and others.

VT-D Enable and Secure Boot disabled. The breaks Virtualization Based Security.

Similar issues were reported a YEAR ago. This is a known issue and Dell is advertising and selling a product that doesn't meet the spec. I wonder how many people are there this is affecting? Is there anywhere we can report this problem and raise it's priority?

22 Posts

March 14th, 2023 14:00

Just got a phone call from DellEMC.

It's not going to get fixed guys.  If Virtualization is important do NOT update to Windows 11.

22 Posts

March 15th, 2023 04:00

I wish I know what was wrong.  I have been told by Dell it is not going to be fixed.   Personally, I am going back to windows 10.   I have no choice.

106 Posts

March 15th, 2023 04:00

I am currently running following, as Ive mention earlier

XPS 15 7590 with latest Bios 1.20.0

W11 22H2 Installed

Secure Boot OFF

2 Virtualisation settings ON

I have, this morning (Wednesday 15/3/23), installed the latest W11 updates successfully

2023-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5023706)

2023-03 .NET 6.0.15 Update for x64 Client (KB5024670)

I have restarted the PC as follows

Secure Boot ON

2 Virtualisation settings ON

The usual critical error BSOD occurs

Therefore today's W11 updates have not resolved this issue

(Turning Secure Boot OFF again - the PC will start successfully -  as noted earlier in the thread)

M

8 Posts

March 19th, 2023 21:00

Did the same thing - downgraded to Windows 10. Then bought a replacement laptop that would run Windows 11 22H2 with Secure Boot and VT-d both enabled; specifically *not* a Dell, seeing as they're not interested in supporting their "Premium" laptop models though Windows version upgrades.

22 Posts

March 20th, 2023 07:00

I called Dell, these Windows features were added 4-5 years after the XPS 7590 was released.  Having been in IT for 35+ years, I understand this can happen.  Dell offered me a discount on a new laptop.  My problem is that the only laptops I would consider in today’s market are using AMD Ryzen chips.   I own several and the battery life and performance is better than anything I have ever seen on an Intel laptop.

Sadly Dell has no business laptops with Ryzen chips.   My next laptops won’t be a Dell.

Dell, are you listening?

1 Message

March 21st, 2023 06:00

The XPS 7590 that I’m having trouble with was shipped in January 2021.  This was prior to our organization purchasing extended service plans.  What I’m reading here is that a premium laptop that’s just over 2-years old won’t run the current version Windows and Dell has no plans to fix the issue.  To add to the frustration is the laptop “passes” the test for Windows 11 and Microsoft keeps trying to push out the update.

No Events found!