Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 16th, 2015 14:00

Creating windows 8.1 installation media on non-windows 7/8 laptop

We have a Dell inspiron laptop which has been trying to update to windows 10. After several unsuccessful attempts, on a recent start-up we're now getting a blue screen with error message '0xc0000185'. The solution is insert a DVD or USB with windows installed on and re-install windows. We have neither, as the computer did not come with an installation disk and it's not possible to get into windows and create a bootable USB. 

I should also mention that after running the Dell diagnostics, there was a problem with the hard drive, error message 2000-0142, validation 95040. A quick google suggests the hard drive itself might be damaged, is it possible that the windows 10 update has caused this? It would be a huge coincidence if not, either way it's very annoying that the Windows 10 update has rendered the laptop unusable. I'd first like to try and re-install windows 8.1 and see if that works, but we don't have any other laptops running windows 7 or 8 which is required for the windows 8.1 creation media tool on the Microsoft website:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

We have laptops running Windows Vista and Mac OS-X Yosemite. I know it's possible to create a bootable USB flash drive for Windows 8.1 on a mac, but for that you need a Windows 8.1 iso image file, which we don't have and it does not seem possible to download anywhere legally without paying for another copy of Windows 8.1, which we shouldn't need to do as the laptop in question came pre-installed with it. Any ideas or help would be very appreciated!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 17th, 2015 07:00

Well 2000-0142 means the HDD has failed and you should replace it with a new HDD/SSD (SSD recommended) as soon as possible. Windows 10 shouldn't damage the HDD but an attempted OS upgrade will write a lot of data to the HDD and it was probably on its last legs.

On your Vista computer download the 10130 .iso and use it as an intermediate OS to get Windows 10 Pro RTM:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/windows-xpvista-%E2%86%92-windows-10-free-upgrade/

Do the same on your other system when you replace the HDD with a SSD as you have no other form of Installation Media.

August 17th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for your reply and for the information.

Unfortunately the 10130.iso is no longer available using the links provided, any other ideas where a reputable download might be? I think with the hassle/cost involved of getting the hard drive replaced and trying to re-install windows on it (probably another purchase to get it legally now unless we can get someone else to give us a USB installer) we might have to consider just getting a new laptop.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 18th, 2015 00:00

The only reputable download source was the Microsoft website. Its uploaded in unofficial locations like getintopc and I've tested the .iso there but as mentioned it isn't an official source.

I'm still waiting for Microsoft to provide a proper solution for those who have an eligible base license but no media to reinstall it.

August 18th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for your help, we'll look into getting the hardrive sorted first then we'll decide whether to try a Windows iso from an unofficial source to see if that works.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 18th, 2015 12:00

If the system came with Windows 8.1 you can try using a friends computer to download the Windows 8.1 .iso which will save you from needing to use 10130 as an intermediate.

No Events found!