Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2014 17:00

Eliminating password from startup in Windows 8

Could someone please tell me how to disable the enter password sign-in in Windows 8? I've followed the following directions: windows key+R; enter netplwiz; uncheck the box requiring password; select apply; verify user id and password; select OK; restart system - protocol, but it doesn't seem to work. Every time the system does into sleep mode or I reboot I have to reenter my password. I am the only user and the system doesn't leave the house, so there is no need for a password. How can I finally get rid of this requirement?  Thanks for any help!

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

March 18th, 2014 10:00

You now need to go to the Change PC Settings in the Charms Bar Settings menu. Then select Accounts and then Sign-in Settings. The Password Policy selection allows you to change the option to not require a password when waking from sleep.

57 Posts

March 18th, 2014 11:00

Hi Kirk - thanks for the response. Sadly, I've already done this several times and yet every time I reboot or come out of sleep, the system continues to prompt me for a password. If it helps, this is a new issue. I had to refresh Win 8 last week due to some other issues and once the refresh had finished, the password issue emerged. In the past, I've been able to eliminate the password using the two different techniques as described in both the MS WIndows site and the instructions you offer here. I can't figure out why this isn't working as it has in the past. 

No Events found!