Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2013 06:00

Fn Keys - 5521

Hello. I bought Dell 5521  2weeks ago (8gb ram 1tb hdd i5 1.70ghz). Whatever, now, i can't use my FN+F4/F5 keys. I can't control/change my screen brightness. Other Fn keys are normal. I can use them but just i can't use my brightness. Anyone knows that how can i fix it? What should i do? A person said me that "download the Fn key's driver" but i don't know which driver is. 

Thank you.

P.S: I know my english is bad :/ :D

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

January 14th, 2013 11:00

Hi taotekno,

Welcome the Community.

Please update the Dell QuickSet driver using the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/13w2bNn

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2 Posts

January 16th, 2013 04:00

First of all, thank you for your answer. On the other hand, I don't know how it happened but my laptop fixed it by itself. Before i saw your answer, my computer had restart itself and then my screen brightness was darker. Then I checked my Fn+F4/F5 keys and they was working. Until that day, keys are still working and there is no any problem until that day. Next time, if this problem happen again, firstly I'll try your answer.

P.S: I know my grammar is bad :D

May 15th, 2013 23:00

Hi,

I have Dell Inspiron 15R 5521 (i5/4GB/1TB/2GB GC) laptop. I was reinstall Windows 8 1 day ago. After instillation i can easily change display brightness using Fn+F4 and Fn+F5 or Setting (Right side snap)  but after install the Catalyst Control Center driver for AMD graphic card.
i unable to change the brightness of display using both way (Fn key or right snap setting).

At this time brightness is minimum at i want to change the brightness form minimum to maximum.

And i also download the Dell QuickSet driver but it's not work.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

May 16th, 2013 04:00

Hi Rahul Rankawat,

Would like to know the source you used to update the Catalyst Control Center driver for AMD graphic card. You may try to update the drivers from our Support Site.

Please ensure that Windows Update are up-to-date.  You may watch the video on how to perform Windows update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4WbM1Wblq_U

Please reply with the findings.

2 Posts

May 28th, 2013 00:00

I have inspiron 5521, I have the same problem that i cannot change my screen brightness, I read in another dell community thread that a person having this problem should uninstall ten reinstall intel hd4000 and amd graphics card drivers, i did so... But another problem occured, I succeeded in installing amd catalyst but when i try to install intel 4000hd driver i get an error message: "This computer doesnt meet the minimum requirements for this software".. I dont get whats gone wrong with it, will be great if someone helps me out

2 Posts

May 28th, 2013 00:00

I have inspiron 5521, I have the same problem that i cannot change my screen brightness, I read in another dell community thread that a person having this problem should uninstall ten reinstall intel hd4000 and amd graphics card drivers, i did so... But another problem occured, I succeeded in installing amd catalyst but when i try to install intel 4000hd driver i get an error message: "This computer doesnt meet the minimum requirements for this software".. I dont get whats gone wrong with it, will be great if someone helps me out

May 28th, 2013 05:00

Hi saad0307,

As your system is shipped with Switchable graphics, the Intel driver needs to be updated first followed by AMD driver. You may follow the steps below to update the graphics driver :

• Click on Start -> Control Panel -> Program and Features -> Uninstall a program
  • Uninstall the AMD video driver first followed by Intel display driver and restart the computer when prompted.
  • You may download the driver from Here -> Enter the service tag of your system ->  Select the operating system -> Expand Video category -> download/install the Intel graphics driver. Follow the onscreen instructions and restart the computer when prompted.
  • Follow the above step again to install the AMD driver as well.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

August 9th, 2013 20:00

Hi, i have Dell 5521 15R i7 (8 GB + 1TB) , before there installed W8, but i change in window 7 Professional 64bit, after i have some problems, 

1= touchpad was not working: but alreadt solved

2= for brightness keys not working (FN ctrl F4 or F5) 

Please give me Best solution as soon as possible, i really headache from this problem, because my eyes-side effected .  

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Hi tausif15,

it seems that Dell Quickset is missing from the computer. You may download and install it from the following link http://dell.to/19ZawhM -> choose the operating system -> expand Application -> download and install Dell Quickset Application.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2013 22:00

Thanks for help me, i installed and after restart laptop and try, now keys is working, like if i pess FM + F4 , showing in small window , brightness is decreasing, when i pess FN+F5, then it going increase, but on screen nothing any change. keys are working but brightness not chaning on screen. 

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 13th, 2013 17:00

Hi tausif15,

Thank you for the response. Please update the video drivers from the same link I shared in my previous post. You would need to expand Video, download and install Intel Graphics Driver and AMD Graphics Driver 7670M or 8730M (depending your system configuration). Once done, check the functionality.

If the issue persists, then go to Start -> Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options. You would have option to change the brightness. Try changing the brightness here and check if it changes the screen brightness.

Please share the findings.

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2013 02:00

Hi Dear, 

i tried to 1st and 2nd both option, but nothing happand anything, please give me any good solution.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 26th, 2013 16:00

Hi tausif15,

Please perform Windows Update. Download and install all the updates and restart the computer. Also, try updating the graphics card from Intel's website. Click on the link http://dell.to/14WRaTA, choose Check your system for updates -> install the add-ons and then update the Intel graphics driver.

12 Posts

October 11th, 2013 14:00

Hello. My name is Amanda and I just received my Inspiron 15R 5537 this afternoon from FedEx. I was wondering what I need to do when setting up my laptop, but most importantly, how to get my F keys to work so I can change my volume and brightness from the keyboard.

Thanks.

12 Posts

October 11th, 2013 15:00

Hello.

I am running Windows 8.

Thanks.

No Events found!