Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 28th, 2013 07:00

Install Windows 8 from DVD in UEFI

I just got my Inspiron 15 3521 (i3 3rd gen, 4GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, InsydeH20 Setup Utility and A05 BIOS). It came with Ubuntu 12.04 and I  wanted to install Windows 8. It is happening in Legacy Boot mode. But I wanted to install Windows 8 64 bit in UEFI Mode. When I add mew Boot Option in UEFI mode, I do not see any file system options - neither from HDD (two partitions of NTFS) or from DVD Drive. 

What do I do next? 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 28th, 2013 22:00

Hi geodssc,

I would suggest you to enable the Secure boot and UEFI mode in the BIOS and then try to installing the operating system. 

Also, you can try the below steps to add the DVD Boot option manually in BIOS .

• Boot mode should be selected to UEFI (not legacy), secure boot off. If the system is not selected to boot to UEFI, change it from BIOS or F12 menu.
  • Go to “BOOT” tab in BIOS and select ADD boot option. See photo below
  • A New Window will appear with Blank boot option name. Name it “CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive”. Now using tab key highlight YES and hit enter. See photos below.
  • Press F10 to save settings and restart. Press F12 for boot menu, DVD option will be there under UEFI

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

August 29th, 2013 03:00

Hi DELL-RAVI CH

Thanks for the response.  

The problem is that when I try to add a boot option in UEFI, no File System List are shown. So I can not select any. Any idea how can I get the File System Option?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

August 31st, 2013 05:00

Hi geodssc,

I would suggest you to perform the below steps to check if you are able to add the Bootable OS media to UEFI boot option.

Note: Ensure that a bootable ‘Windows 8 OS’ disc is present in the Optical drive before entering BIOS. If this still does not work, leave the disc in the Optical drive & then try a cold boot.

Type “DVD” for ‘Boot Option Name’ & Press Tab only once to move the cursor to the next line

*Note: Pressing the ‘Tab’ key more than once will skip the cursor to the next column & hence causing an error in the entire process.

Using the arrow keys - Ensure that the option similar to the image below (having “CD” or “CD ROM” at the end) is selected and Press the “TAB” key again – only once

Note : You can confirm that ‘CDROM’ is selected by using the right arrow key
*As seen in the image

When the cursor is under “File Name” as seen in the image below - Press the “Enter” key once.

You will now see a new window (EFI Boot Selection) as seen in the image below, Select ‘EFI’ using the ‘Down Arrow’ and Press “Enter” key only once :

Use the ‘Down Arrow’ key to select ‘Boot’ & Press ‘Enter’ again.

You will now get a windows similar to the one below, use the ‘Tab’ key to highlight ‘BOOTX64.EFI’ & then Press the ‘Enter’ Key again:

Now ensure that you see “EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.EFI” under File Name & then Press the ‘Tab’ key one last time.

Yes” button will now get highlighted as seen in the image below, press the ‘Enter’ key again – Only once.

Note: This entire process may not work if the you press the “TAB” key more than once in any of the steps. You’ll then have to repeat all the above steps again.

If the process was successful – “DVD” will be listed under UEFI Boot as seen in the image above & you can now boot from the OS Disc from the F12 menu

4 Posts

December 4th, 2013 02:00

Hi Ravi,

Can you please show the process on Dell Inspiron 15r SE 7250 laptop.

I want to install windows8 fresh installation (as your service engineer replaced the HD and i lost all my dell factory settings)

I want to install a fresh copy of win8 in UEFI mode.

Thanks in advance.

No Events found!