Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2013 12:00

No internet connection after upgrade to WIN 8.1

Dear all,

I have a serious problem. I upgrade my Laptop (DELL Inspiron 3521) from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. The upgrade finished and all seemed to work fine but when I went in Desktop Mode I noticed that I cannot open web pages from all browsers (IE, Mozilla, Chrome). Also I noticed that some programs when I press to check for updates they are saying that there is no connection to the internet or check the firewall.

I search the internet and I found that maybe the problem is the antivirus, so I completely uninstall the ESET but with no result.

I have to say that in METRO Mode the internet is working fine.

Please give me a solution the soonest possible:emotion-12:.

Thanks in advance

Elias Kekakos

1 Message

October 21st, 2013 03:00

Option 1:

Try clean Boot and see if possible 3rd party program could be causing this:

From the desktop:

Press the Windows key +R In the Run box type msconfig and hit enter

Under the Services tab, place a check in Hide all Microsoft services and hit Disable all

Open Task Manager Under the Startup tab right-click and disable each Startup item and then close Task Manager Click Apply/OK

Restart

If you have connection now try find out which software caused this, try to reinstall it etc..

If the issues persist even after clean boot, that could be firewall

Option 2:

Press the Windows key +R In the Run box type  cmd” to get the “Command Prompt”. (better to run it as an admin)

type netsh winsock reset and run

type netsh advfirewall reset and run

Restart 

Press Windows key + C, click on the search button, type firewall then click on Settings. At left click on allow an app through internet firewall, click on change settings then add apps you're having trouble with. Hit OK to apply changes made.

Hope it works for u.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2013 12:00

Thank you TRAVELER9653,

I did the 1st option with no result.

I did the 2nd option, I tried after the RESTART but with no result. Then I proceeded to the change of firewall by adding the CHROME and after that the whole internet came back. After that I remove the CHROME and the access to the internet from DESKTOP Mode is here.

Most probably by transferring the old files to the directory WINDOWS.OLD sth was missing from the firewall and cause all this problem.

Anyway, thanks again because you save me from a lot of time because I was ready to proceed with a refresh.

Elias

2 Posts

January 27th, 2014 00:00

There is a known problem with Win 8.1 in general you have to revert your manufacturer's drivers as Windows tried to replace them. It is good that this was not your case, but anyway for future reference how to do that here is an extensive article with examples http://www.virusresearch.org/no-internet-access-in-windows-8-limited-connectivity/

11 Posts

August 4th, 2014 23:00

Here I fix no internet access in Windows 8.1. The limited internet connection wifi and No Internet Access is a common Windows 8.1 issue. 

Solved: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1

1 Message

September 17th, 2014 10:00

Thank you very much. This just saved me from having to rack my brain for hours trying to figure out what happened. Or uninstall the 1+ hour upgrade which may or may not have helped. If I could call Microsoft and reach through the phone and punch someone there in the face I would. Hiw could they not fix this by now. JERKS!

1 Message

February 22nd, 2015 06:00

Hell yeah, this worked bro!  Thanks!

No Events found!