Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2015 09:00

Windows 8.1 update won't work

I have a new Dell XPS 13 that came with Windows 8.1.  When I switch on I get a notification that windows updates are ready to be installed.  When I go to settings/update and recovery/Windows Update all I see is the little spinning wait symbol (for hours).  I also recently took up the subscription to McAfee anti virus which came pre installed on the computer.  When I try and open McAfee Central the same happens.  These problems also occur when my McAfee firewall is turned off.  I'm not sure if these problems are related

I am concerned that because of the updates not working I won't be able to get my Windows 10 upgrade, I reserved it some time ago but as of today I haven't received my notification.

How can I solve these problems?

August 3rd, 2015 10:00

Thanks, I resolved the problem myself - the simple solution may be useful to others who encountered the same fault

First I turned off the firewall and made sure it wasn't set to switch back on when I re-booted.
I re-booted and went to settings/windows update/choose how updates get installed.
It was set to download and install automatically, but of course the downloads were not installing automatically - I changed this to "download updates but choose whether to install them" and applied the change. Then I went to "view details" and was able to select all the uninstalled downloads, which I did and they installed.
I then rebooted no ;more warning of uninstalled updates and Win 10 started to download and install.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 2nd, 2015 23:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us.

By the looks of it there could a problem with the Anti Virus or a update  or the Operating System .The Operating system which could have gone corrupt. Since when have you been facing this issue .Try to do a system restore to the date when the system was working fine and then run the updates to check if that work.

If there are any error messages kindly make a note of them which would help the identifying the issue as well.

Thanks.

Robin

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 5th, 2015 02:00

Hi

This is great.Glad that the issue is sorted out and that your able to install window 10 on the system.Please feel free if there are any other issues on the system or if you need any assistant with regards to the system.

Thanks,

Robin

No Events found!