Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 24th, 2015 16:00

Windows 8.1 won't Activate

This problem is occurring on an Inspiron M531R-5535 (mid 2013) delivered with Windows 8.1

After 18 months of glitches and assorted issues, I decided to do a complete re-installation.  I did it within Windows - Settings, Update and Recovery, Recovery, "Remove everything and reinstall Windows."

The process was lengthy, but with no apparent problems. The PC boots and runs fine, but Windows is not Activated.  On the desktop in the lower right corner it says "Windows 8.1, Build 9600.  When I open Control Panel - System, there is the message that Windows is not activated, and to the right is the link "Activate Windows".

I also get a blue Window after boot that has the text "Go to PC settings to activate Windows".  Here is what happens when I click on the button:

1. When I click the button, the desktop appears, and there is the blue "Gear" icon for Settings in the Task Bar.

2. I click the gear icon and the metro "PC Settings" window opens

3. On the left menu at the bottom, I click on "Activate Windows"

4. I'm taken back to the desktop, with the gear icon still there.

This is an infinite loop - Windows never activates.  If I instead click on the "Activate Windows" link on the System page, the blue "PC Settings" window opens for ~2 seconds, then I'm returned right back to the System window. Again, no activation.

So can anyone here advise me on how to do this? Remember, this is not an Upgrade to Windows 8.1. The recovery partition is using Windows 8.1.

Thanks.

780 Posts

June 25th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

You may try a couple of steps to get the computer up and running

• I believe you tried "Reset" , You may try Dell factory restore(Not 100% sure if this would work after reset)

Go to Windows - Settings, Update and Recovery, Recovery

You have 3 options there 1.Refresh 2. Reset 3. Advanced startup.

Select the 3rd option, Click "Troubleshoot" , In the next scree if you have 3 options 1.Refres 2.Reset 3.Dell backup and recovery, Pick the 3rd option and proceed further. That should fix the issues.

• If there is no Dell back up and recovery, Login to Windows and Open "Command prompt" as "Administrator"

Type "slui 4" , That opens up a new window for Phone activation, Select your country, Dial the number given there, follow the instruction. that should work.

Please respond incase you need any further assistance.

Thank you

1 Message

July 1st, 2015 15:00

Hi I have tried everything stated in your instruction, as well as the SLUI 4, however none of them works;
SLUI 4 won't even startup to begin with.

I believe its either I need a new key or some sort injected update you can provide.

In addition to help you, I didn't change any Hardware on my unit and still the same unit as is.

780 Posts

July 2nd, 2015 05:00

Hi,

Since the key is injected into the motherboard, We can use a factory image USB key to reload the Windows 8.1 from the scratch and it should pick up the product key.

Please send a private message with the computer's service tag.

To send a private message, click on my name and click start conversation.

Thank you

May 24th, 2016 08:00

Hi,  I'm getting exactly the same problem here

Had a faulty laptop swapped out, rebuilt laptop (Windows 8.1) using the recovery sub sent with hard drive

Now Windows won't activate

Is there anything support can do for me?

No Events found!