Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

February 15th, 2004 22:00

3Com HomeConnect PC Digital Camera

Hi,

I've just received this very old (1999) webcam for videos and stills.

I know, I know, I should just go out and get a cheap newer one, but I still want to try and work with this.

Basically, I've loaded everything, but XP stopped the installation, telling me that it wasn't Windows XP tested or approved.

Maybe it's because this software/hardware is so old, but the box says that it is compliant with Windows 95, 98, and 2000.  So you'd think it'd work for XP just as well...

I got this warning message that says it could possibly dammage my O.S. and other things on my computer because its on XP approved.  

Does anyone know if this is true?  What exactly it will do? and Whether or not it's okay to just go for it and install the whole thing?

Thanks a lot!

-Erik 

3K Posts

February 16th, 2004 04:00

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=5&sort=effdt&order=desc&sku=003718-00

See the vicam6858.exe download.  Assuming you have the Home Connect, and not Home Connect "Lite," these drivers will work, if installed properly.  You'll get a popup about the drivers not being certified for XP, but install them anyway.  The camera should not be attached while you're installing the drivers.  Install them first, shut down, attach the camera and reboot.  The New Hardware Wizard will detect the camera and finish installing the drivers from there.  You'll use the "VICAM Utilities" folder in your main Program menu to run the camera. 

The options/applications that were on the original installation CD for Win98/WinME will not be present with the Vicam software, but you'll have functionality for video conferencing with Net Meeting, MSN Messenger, and AIM.

7 Posts

February 16th, 2004 17:00

Thank you so much!  I'll be sure to do it. 

You were a great help.

1 Message

November 13th, 2017 09:00

Very informative thread.

No Events found!