Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2007 00:00

ATI wonder 650 tuner Catalyst software

Is their a vista version of Catalyst software for this card? What's on the cd wont install at all, the site has what I thought was right but it made my computer unusable. Or, is their another way to use the RCA inputs on the back of the card. I want to run my 8mm through it and dump the video on my computer. Dell E521 2gig ram, everything else OEM. thanks -rich

2.4K Posts

April 5th, 2007 08:00

12 Posts

April 5th, 2007 12:00

just got a response from AMD - Customer Care: For anyone who's interested:

Unfortunately, the catalyst media center software bundled with the tv wonder 650 is not compatible with Vista. We are working on a new version that will be compatible with Vista. For the moment, it's recommended to use Vista's MCE TV.

Anyone know if something like Roxio Easy Media Creator 9 will work and allow me to capture video from my card?

Message Edited by frenchrl on 04-05-2007 09:12 AM

15 Posts

April 5th, 2007 22:00

I have an XPS 410 running Vista with the ATI Wonder 650. I just transfered all my VHS tapes to DVD using the Catalyst Media Center. Just put your disc in and select CUSTOM install, and install the Catalyst Media Center ONLY. Uncheck everything else. It works great, (I wish Vista would capture from a card)

12 Posts

April 5th, 2007 23:00

wow, it worked. i had to go to the install\CMC\CMC\ and ran setup from their and so far so good. I Havn't re-booted yet, you know how that can be w\Vista right now :-). are you still using the one from the cd, or did you upgrade it? thank you very much!!! -Rich

15 Posts

April 6th, 2007 01:00

Still using the one from the cd with no problems. If and when ATI comes up with a new one I will switch, but for now it captures and runs without conflict.

13 Posts

April 11th, 2007 18:00

Vista Ultimate Media Center does not find the ATI card and tells me that I do not have tuner hardware.  I moved the ATI card to a different slot but no help there.  I tried the ATI 32 bit driver from Jan., 2007, but MC still did not find tuner hardware.  Also I have installed Catalyst Control Center 7.3 which was only released about 2 weeks ago. ATI support insists that Vista MC is all that I need.  XP Media Center recognized and ran the ATI card but it is invisible to Vista MC.

I have spent several weeks submitting 'tickets' to ATI and have followed all of their suggestions but no joy.  I did try installing CMC from the ATI disk and it worked briefly until I installed an update from ATI/Dell drivers.  Then CMC failed to work and Vista Media Center still says I have no TV tuner hardware.

I posted this on Microsoft Vista Discussion Groups but did not get a response.  i have a Dell XPS 400 3.2 Ghz Pentium D 940; 4 Gb RAM; ATI Radeon X1900XT graphics card 512 Mb; Ati TV Wonder 650 PCI card; LaCie Firewire card.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

12 Posts

April 11th, 2007 19:00

First you should uninstall the Catalyst Control Center 7.3, I can't believe that didn't cause you problems, I did it and almost had to reinstall my OS. ATI says it's not ready for Vista yet, they are working on it though. I did get their software to work from the CD as you can see from a previous post. Def. remove 7.3 I would just uninstall it all. Pull the card, re-boot without any of it. Put the card back in, boot up. I Installed the updated driver from found here: http://ati.de/support/drivers/vista32/theater550-vista32.html For now that's all we can do according to ATI. Of course installing the CC center from the CD did work for me and It should you too. I know it's probably nothing you haven't already tried, but I hope this helps some.

Message Edited by frenchrl on 04-11-2007 03:58 PM

13 Posts

April 11th, 2007 23:00

I removed Catalyst Control Center 7.3 and it was a disaster as I no longer could control my display settings.  I managed to find it again on ATI's site and saw that it is posted as Vista compatible.  It was difficult to reinstall as the buttons were off the bottom of my screen and I could not move the window up enough to click on them.

Now I am back where I was.  I will try your advice about removing the card/booting/replacing it/booting again but CCC 7.3 stays on my system.

During all this I did learn that my 'high quality' expensive Dell 2405FPW (24" flat panel wide) monitor can only handle 1920x1200 whereas my ATI graphics board can do 1920x1440.  I thought I was buying the best quality monitor available.

13 Posts

April 12th, 2007 00:00

That need to reboot 5 or more times with Vista was my experience too.  There was an error with my Dell printer AIO964 that had me looking to solve by making registry changes.  After a few reboots the error vanished - other errors as well.

12 Posts

April 12th, 2007 00:00

I sure hope you get it working. I lost my mouse and key board after installing cc 7.3 and re-booting. I had to us the dell CD repair\restore feature. I would make sure you were good and stable before installing anything. i have learned w\vista to do one thing re-boot a couple of times to make sire I'm stable then try another. And verify everything is Vista compatible. Anyway, good luck.

13 Posts

April 12th, 2007 19:00

Okay.  I pulled my ATI tuner card, booted, logged on and waited for everything to load, shut down and powered off (again), put the ATI card back into the PCI slot and booted but it did not work.  I did not receive a 'Found New Hardware' message and, despite installing that ATI Theater 550/650 driver, my ATI tuner is still invisible to Vista Media Center. 

I'll wait a bit to see if anyone responds to this.  If not I'll try repeating the steps above.

Thanks for the advice so far.
No Events found!