Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 11th, 2004 14:00

Adding my 2nd OS to the Boot.ini file

Dear forum regulars and members,

Please help me to write the correct path for my 2nd OS (XP Pro) to my boot.ini file on my C: drive (which now has my 1st OS (XP Pro also) as default and nothing else.  I want to have the choice of booting to either OS, like I used to have when I cloned my XP OS to my 2nd HD.  This clone is located on is on partition 3 of my 2nd HD, listed as Disk 2 on my Promise Controller BIOS.

I had a choice for months, until I reinstalled the OS on C.  After that, my 2nd OS did not come up as a choice, and my boot.ini file on the C: drive looked like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I have tried 3 different methods, using Microsoft KB, for adding the 2nd OS to the boot file, the Commands in the Recovery Console, the Commands in Command Prompt, and the Manual editing of the Boot.ini file on C.

The Recovery Console commands didn't even recognize that I had any Operating Systems at all and wouldn't let me add any.  The Command Prompt commands were always in error.

So I have tried to manually add the 2nd OS.  It looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(3)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

I do get a choice of two systems at boot, but the second one one will not boot.  Once, a black screen said that the path or boot file not correct, and I had to press CAD to get back to the first OS which then booted into Windows.  Another time, after trying to change some of the values of the 2nd OS, I just got thrown into a reboot into the first windows.  I think I am close to getting it, but do not know what values to put in the Multi( ) and rdisk( ).  I assume that the disk(2) and the partition(3) is correct for the 2nd OS.

Thank you to all in advance.

FYI:   My first OS, XP Pro is located on disk 0, partition 1.  It is on an independent channel to the promise controller card.  My 2nd OS(clone), is located on disk 2, partition 3.  This disk is located on another independent channel on my promise controller card.

Regards,

Jane

January 11th, 2004 17:00

jm,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I do.  I had this setup before, so that I could have an easier time reinstalling the OS when the need arose.  I lost it when I formatted and reinstalled the first OS with the installation CD, rather than using the clone to clone another.  BTW, the clone has its own boot.ini file which lists itself as follows:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

4.4K Posts

I would have thought that as the first drive is (0) the second one would be (1) , not (2).

I think the partition count starts afresh on each drive so if it is the first partition on the second drive, it would be disk(1), partition(1). Don't know about the other items.

I think your best bet is to use bootcfg from the recovery console

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291980&Product=winxp

12K Posts

You want two versions of XP Pro to be bootable?

2.5K Posts

Search for a description of the boot.ini parameters, try Google or Microsoft.  You parameters are wrong. 

January 11th, 2004 18:00

Thanks guys.  I'll do a search for the parameters.  If I could just boot to the clone now, I would use P.M. 8.0 to delete the first partition of the first disk and then clone back to the empty partition.

It is the parameters.

Thanks.

Jane

2K Posts

January 11th, 2004 18:00

You could also check using Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management , it shows the Disk's recognize & partitions.

January 11th, 2004 19:00

Gary,

Thanks for the suggestion.  The second disk is listed as disk 1 in the left hand box and as disk 2 in the partition displays to the right.  I've tried all the combinations and permutations with no luck.  I give up!  I'll just do a clean install with the CD and add all the servivce packs and updates again.  Thank you again for your help.

I did try the Recovery console again.  I could not access it; no disks were recognized.  Mayb e my Promise controller card, as it is installed as a scsi device, is the problem.

Regards,

Jane.

No Events found!