Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2007 17:00

Administrator login - can't find in Vista

Hi,

I keep running into situations where the administrator needs to authorize changes. I can't locate much less change settings for administrative controls. When I go to Control Panel (this is Vista mind you), there isn't anything that tells me that I can change admin stuff. For example, to remove a program that I just downloaded and installed, the computer says that I need to log off and log back on as the admin. When I do that, there isn't an option to do that. I have seen by surfing the Net that Vista by default doesn't have an admin account enabled. Is this true? Any (read ANY) help is greatly appreciated !!

2 Posts

Not sure Derek... there really is only one account that I can see. Robin, thanks! I printed the article to read later at my leisure. Thanks so much to both of you for responding.

617 Posts

137 Posts

the first account you created should be an administrator account

what account are you using now?

February 24th, 2007 18:00

Go to Start, Control Panel, User Accounts and Family Settings (assuming you're using Category View/Control Panel Home).  If you're using Classic View in Control Panel, double-click on User Accounts.  That will tell you how you're currently logged on.  If you're the first/original user of the machine with Vista installed on it, you are automatically an administrator.  Not sure what error message you're getting...is there any way you could post exactly what the error message says?  Could be that the program just wants you to log off and log back in.  Can't really say if I can't see the error message or don't know what it says.

Hope this helps.

Jess

14 Posts

February 24th, 2007 19:00

Easiest method I've seen is outlined in this newsgroup post:

--

Click the start button > Type in the following

cmd

Hold down 'ctrl' and 'shift', before pressing enter

Then enter or paste in this command

net user administrator /active:yes

Then log out and you should see the account appear.

12K Posts

February 25th, 2007 04:00

Or you can just Right Click the App and "Run As"......Choose Administrator and the appropriate password.
No Events found!