Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2017 20:00

App Readiness svc causes 5 minute login delay after KB4041676

I have a new Dell Inspiron 7579 computer that was working fine and updated current  before the October Cumulative Update.

It has Windows 10 Home installed. After Update KB4041676 was applied on October 10th, it now takes waiting 5 minutes for a Black screen that appears after login to go away, and allow use of the machine.

I read that HP users had a similar problem after the September updates. Example: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Home-screen-takes-5-minutes-to-load-New-17t-Envy-laptop/m-p/6322441#M232344   

I have tried uninstalling KB404167 and doing a system restore to before it applied - which fixed the problem temporarily. Unfortunately, since Home users cannot defer updates, the update promptly reapplied and the problem returned. 

I saw that Microsoft issued a fix for this problem in September (presumably in response to the HP users) Here: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043292/windows-10-black-screen-when-restarts-after-windows-update-oem-factory  

When I tried to run that update, my machine blue screened on restart with the message Inaccessible Boot Device.  I successfully recovered by using System Restore in the Recovery tools. 

I also tried downloading KB4041676 from the Update catalog, uninstalling it, rebooting, and installing it standalone -- and still have the problem.

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled the update several times, and no longer have an accessible restore point before the update was first applied. 

Disabling the App Readiness service does indeed eliminate the 5 minute delay. 

I have the update, and the Flash Player update installed, and both the App readiness service and the Windows Update service disabled to make the machine usable in the short term. 

Suggestions to troubleshoot / fix the problem?

October 24th, 2017 08:00

This issue was cross-posted on the Microsoft Community.

Per a suggestion there, we ran the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, which did not appear to fix the problem, even after multiple restarts.

Then we were forced to run the Fall Creator's Update -- and that did indeed fix the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Joe Griggs

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 20th, 2017 03:00

Thank you for your message.

Do you still get the blue screen errors & is the system restarting or turning off when you get the blue screen?

What is the BIOS version installed?

For my reference, please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

October 20th, 2017 08:00

The machine no longer blue screens, after we used System Restore to 'back out' the Microsoft fix that came out in September. As I understand it, that fix https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043292/windows-10-black-screen-when-restarts-after-windows-update-oem-factory was deleting certain registry keys.

The machine is running BIOS 1.20, we have not tried loading 1.21 that just came out. 

The machine is still running Windows 10 1703 -- we have not tried updating to the Fall Creator's update (1709).

The machine has the October Cumulative update and the latest Adobe flash update installed.

It currently has the App readiness service disabled and the Windows Update service disabled. 

With App Readiness enabled (Manual), it has the 5 minute black screen after login.

We disabled Windows Update service because it depends on App Readiness, and to have control over when / what update it processes while we still have the problem with App Readiness.

This question was cross posted to the Microsoft Community here: : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/app-readiness-svc-causes-5-minute-login-delay/a4104fce-5291-428f-a47c-1453f15b5234 

Microsoft MVP Robear Dyer asked if we had run the McAfee consumer products removal tool, and we replied that while we had uninstalled McAfee, and installed Norton, we did not specifically download and run the tool. 

We appreciate any help you can provide.

14 Posts

October 24th, 2017 11:00

Not to quibble with you but I suspect that running the McAfee removal tool (and then resetting Windows Update) in combination with upgrading to Win10 1709 [Fall Creators Update] may have fixed the problem, Jim.

Ditto if you uninstalled the Comcast/Norton freebie & ran the Norton removal tool as I'd suggested.

February 28th, 2018 06:00

Still having this issue.

Ran the MCPR and rebooted, twice to be sure, and still getting the 5 minute delay.  The system already has Windows build 1709 on it, so I don't know how to reapply that update.

Suggestions?

1 Message

April 15th, 2018 06:00

Upgraded my XPS 8910 to Win10 1709 (all April 2018) patches and the problem started happening; VEEEERY slow logins unless "App Readiness" is disabled.

please help

No Events found!