Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2017 19:00

BRAND NEW XPS 8900 ordered with Win 10, arrived with Windows 7 Pro

I ordered a brand new XPS 8900 desktop with Windows 10 Pro. It came installed with Windows 7 Pro.

The included OS disc says "Windows 10 Pro 64-bit ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER". But it isn't!! 

I checked the invoice, and it shows Item # 619-AHTY, described as "W1-P-DG7 ENG".

Is Dell expecting me to clean install Windows 10 Pro on my own? If I do, where do I get the other software pre-installed on my system? 

Help! Thanks!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 14th, 2017 23:00

Clean-installing Win 10 will make for a smoother-running system, if that's any consolation.

Was anything other than trialware to be included?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 15th, 2017 07:00

All Dell Windows Reinstallation DVDs say Already Installed on your computer even if they are not...

In your case you have only a Windows 7 Pro OEM installation but a Windows 10 Pro OEM License (Downgrade Rights).

The DVD Dell ship will also be obsolete. Microsoft are releasing a new Windows 10 .iso every few months and you will get superior performance and waste less time installing updates etc. by using the latest installation media:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/ 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr 

January 15th, 2017 09:00

rdunnill and natakuc4: thanks for the quick response and helpful answers!

But I am pretty bummed to have to do this.... any idea why Dell isn't shipping computers preinstalled with Win 10? This is NOT what I expected from Dell.

I assume the windows 10 Product Key is imbedded in the computer? Because I don't see one in the documentation.

Thanks again!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 15th, 2017 12:00

It must have been a mistake (they happen), and yes, I believe the Windows 10 key is embedded in the BIOS.

You might try downloading Windows 10 and performing an in-place upgrade. Unlike previous versions of Windows, Microsoft has made Windows 10 freely downloadable.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 16th, 2017 03:00

rdunnill and natakuc4: thanks for the quick response and helpful answers!

But I am pretty bummed to have to do this.... any idea why Dell isn't shipping computers preinstalled with Win 10? This is NOT what I expected from Dell.

I assume the windows 10 Product Key is imbedded in the computer? Because I don't see one in the documentation.

Thanks again!

Windows 7 Pro is still relatively popular despite reaching End of OEM sales. Dell are selling some non-touch systems with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled... These systems are technically sold with Windows 10 Pro - they have a Windows 10 Pro OEM License but Dell invoke Downgrade Rights and preinstall Windows 7 Pro.

It could be that you selected one of these configurations by accident (its not immediately obvious unless you analyse the configurations during selection) or alternatively Dell made an accident by assuming you selected such a configuration.

The Product Key is Embedded in the UEFI BIOS for Windows 10 Pro. As mentioned you don't need to know it and Windows 10 RS1 Installation Media will automatically input it during installation. However if you want to quickly check you can see if you have a MSDM tab with RWEverything. See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/uefi/#OEMSLP 

In your case - your system should have both a SLIC tab (for Windows 7 Pro Downgrade Rights) and a MSDM tab (the unique Windows 10 Pro OEM SLP key).

No Events found!