Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2014 00:00

Bios update failed - Dell Precision M4600

I just got a used M4600, and the currently installed bios is A08. When I try to update to A16, it restarts, says it's updating firmware, but fails at 0%. It gives no reason, and no error code as far as I can tell. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. :emotion-2:

March 12th, 2014 15:00

I have the same problem.  Did you find a solution???

297 Posts

March 12th, 2014 18:00

Sometimes BIOS updates can be a bit finicky. The notes in the BIOS download does mention that if you are using BIOS versions prior to A08 that you need to update to A08 first. Maybe the problem is more severe than that. Have you tried updating to the A13 BIOS to see if that will work. According to the dates, that is the version released after A08.

March 13th, 2014 08:00

Yes I have tried A13 with no success.  I have tried updating in Dos both from a Dos flash drive and Dos within windows without success.   Strange part is I have 2 M4600.  The first one updated without an issue.  This second refuses.  The BIOS setting on both are the same.  Just not sure what else to try.  Thanks. 

297 Posts

March 19th, 2014 10:00

Try running it right from Windows (instructions below).

If that does not work, download the BIOS version that is supposed to be on your system now, and try reinstalling that. If that works, reboot windows and try the update again.

Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
1. Browse to the location where you downloaded the file and double-click the new file.
2. Windows System will auto restart and update BIOS while system startup screen.
3. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

March 19th, 2014 11:00

I have downloaded current BIOS installed on the M4600.  BIOS A8 and ran from windows.  I get the same fail message.  0% complete in red with no error message.  Fail.

297 Posts

March 21st, 2014 09:00

If I understand your first post, you purchased this computer as a used computer, correct? If it is, there is a chance that the motherboard inside is not the same as the one that should be inside. Could you get into the BIOS and on the first page should be a system model number or something like that. Check it against what it is suppose to be and let me know if it is the correct motherboard or not.

1 Message

March 21st, 2014 11:00

Hi, glad to have found this post. Sorry, I don't have  a solution but a similar problem like rianj. 

On a Dell Precision M4600 I tried to update my current BIOS which is A05. The MyDell platform offers the A16 BIOS update when I check for new drivers for my Window 7 64-bit system. When I try to install the A16 BIOS update I get am error message saying I should first update to the A08 version. However, I can't find the A08 version as the MyDell platform lists previous versions only back to the A10 version!

Where can I get that A08 version ? And what is the safest way to upgrade that BIOS. I don't want to mess with my BIOS in any dangerous way at all !

Thanks so much for any advice. 

Fred

March 21st, 2014 12:00

Hi Fred;

Here is a link to the A08.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=C7CTK

just run in windows.  good luck. 

Hope you don't have issues

4 Posts

March 24th, 2014 15:00

I am having the same problem. I downloaded the A08 bios and it too fails to update the bios.

4 Posts

March 24th, 2014 16:00

I forgot to mention that I am currently at the A08 bios level.  I tried A08, A11, and A16. They all fail with the same error. I ran them from the windows 7 directory.  Is there another method to flash the BIOS?

March 24th, 2014 17:00

the Motherboard is legit.  original on the laptop.  

4 Posts

March 26th, 2014 09:00

Not sure if this would help but is there a way to clear the CMOS on the M4600 Laptop? Some machines have a jumper that can be used to clear it. I tried unplugging the CMOS battery but all that did was clear the clock time.

297 Posts

April 21st, 2014 12:00

Sorry to not have posted in a while. Have you tried doing the BIOS update thru DOS instead of thru Windows?

If not, you will need to restart your computer to safe mode with the command prompt. It will be easier to do if while in windows if you move the BIOS update to the C: folder.

1 Message

November 1st, 2014 15:00

Just purchased a used M4600 and have the same issue.  BIOS currently at A08 and am unable to install A07,A11, A13 or A16.  I have tried through windows and booting into DOS and running from the command line.  Was anyone able to solve this problem on their computers?

4 Posts

November 1st, 2014 19:00

My 4600 was under warranty. Dell sent someone to my home to work on it. I believe they replaced the mother

board. That seem to take care of it.

No Events found!