Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 19th, 2012 14:00

Can Dell Vostro 1510 run 64 bit Windows 7?

I have a Dell Vostro 1510 currently running 32 bit Win XP. I have gone through all the Win 7 upgrade steps and the notebook is supposedly compatible with  64 bit Win 7, but I cannot get the install disc to run. Can I download 64 bit drivers to run the Win 7 setup file? I am wondering if the notebook is only upgradable to 32 bit Win 7. I've gone 'round in circles reading online sites for about an hour, but still not sure. Any help appreciated. Thank... Graham

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 19th, 2012 20:00

Hi Graham,

You will have to perform a clean installation of Windows 7 64-bit using the installation disk as a 32-bit operating system cannot be upgraded to 64-bit. To install Windows 7, please follow the steps provided below:

1. Restart the computer and start tapping the F12 key.

2. On the One Time Boot Menu, select CD/DVD and press any to boot from the CD.

3. Select the language and click on “Install Now”.

4. You will have to select the “Custom” installation option and follow the steps to complete the installation.

If you have not followed these steps, please write back to us with the procedure that you followed to install Windows 7 64-bit. Some Vostro 1510 were shipped with Intel Celeron M that does not support 64-bit operating system.  You will to provide the system Service Tag to pull up the details.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name ‘DELL-Rajath N’ highlighted in blue in my reply and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

October 21st, 2012 04:00

Hi Graham,

Thank you for your reply. You can download and install the Windows Vista 32-bit drivers from the following link:
http://dell.to/SxgfU8

You can also download the graphics card drivers from the nVidia support website as Dell has only Vista 32-bit drivers. You can also try updating the driver from Device Manager as Windows 7 will find the compatible driver online and will install it automatically.

Please reply to this message if you need further assistance.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 21st, 2012 20:00

Hi Graham you should verify that there are no errors in the device manager, I think you should be okay but its worth a quick look. See step 12 of my wiki A Clean Install of Windows 7 (link found in my signature).

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 21st, 2012 22:00

Looks like you need the card reader driver i.e. the O2Micro OZH24 SD/MMC Host Controller. Again Dell only have the 32 bit driver for your model.

However you can probably install the driver for the newer Vostro systems R208743.exe.

Also your Video Card is a NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GS, if you need a Dell Driver R200275.exe will probably do the trick however if the nVidea driver installed fine it is probably best to keep as its the most up to date.

You should also install Dell Quickset if you haven't done so already R182249.exe (taken from Precision M6300 which shares the Quickset 32 bit R180762.exe).

5 Posts

October 20th, 2012 03:00

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for the quick response. After I posted the question, I took a break and the idea of forcing a boot up on the install disc dawned on me. Fortunately, I followed the procedure you outlined and the install went to plan. I'm now running 64 bit Windows 7 and all looks good. Well, as good as can be expected for Windows. Now I have the post upgrade issues to deal with, such as the video card not being recognised - 256MB NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) 8400M GS 64-bit. Do you think you could help with that issue? Don't want to push my luck though :)

Thanks again for your support.

Regards... Graham

5 Posts

October 21st, 2012 19:00

Rajath,

You're a Legend! Thanks again for your help. Everything is working well now, despite Win 7 deciding to hang at the Welcome screen (fixed that with a MS Hotfix after considerable hassle).

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate the support.

Kind regards,

Graham

5 Posts

October 21st, 2012 21:00

Thanks for the good advice Philip. I ran the device manager and all is OK, except the Mass Storage Controller. It won't update automatically as the driver provider is unknown. Can you provide any advice on what to do?

Regards... Graham

By the way, your Windows wiki article is a real masterpiece!

5 Posts

October 22nd, 2012 03:00

Thanks again Philip. I installed the first, not the second as NVIDIA driver fine, and third wouldn't install. I'll leave things alone for now. It's not broken, so don't want to push my luck.

Regards... Graham

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 15:00

Shame I thought it would have worked for the Dell Quickset, its not critical but its kind of useful.

No Events found!