Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2012 06:00

Can I dual boot Win8 and Win7

I purchased an XPS 8500 with Windows 8. My work VPN does not support Windows 8 so I would like to add a partition to the free space of the drive and install Windows 7 in a dual boot configuration. I have a copy of Win7 Pro just for this purpose. I created a TrueImage backup of the entire Dell drive with all factory partitions just in case something goes bad but I am afraid to take the next step. Does anyone have any advice or detailed instructions on how to do this?

December 19th, 2012 10:00

There are a few of methods you could use to achieve your goal.

First, to answer your question, yes you can install both Windows 7 and Windows 8 in a dual boot configuration. You would need a separate partition available to install Windows 7 on. This TechNet Wiki article will help, however the article was written presuming Windows 7 is the primary operating system. The supported method is to install the older operating system first, then proceed with installing the most current OS.

Second, if you are on a 64 bit version of Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise, and have a SLAT capable processor you can set up Hyper-V and load Windows 7 in a Hyper-V virtual machine. This would allow you to access Windows 7 and the work VPN while still remaining within Windows 8. This TechNet article with help you to get started with Client Hyper-V.

Lastly, you can install Windows 7 on a Virtual Hard Disk (VHD) and boot directly to that for access to Windows 7. This TechNet article explains this in great detail. It was written for Windows 7, but should be applicable to Windows 8 as well.

Additional resources for Windows 8, VHD’s, and Client Hyper-V can be found on the Springboard Series page for Windows 8 on TechNet.

Hope this helps!

David

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

35 Posts

December 20th, 2012 04:00

Yes, there may be dual boot for windows 8 & windows 7 for your laptop.

9 Posts

December 20th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the reply David. I got tired of waiting for Dell to ship the Win 8 OS re-install DVD's. I will outline what I did to get this configuration working and hopefully this will help someone else who is looking to do the same thing.

I first purchased Acronis True Image 2013 and made a complete backup of my HDD, including all hidden partitions. That way if I ever want to revert back to the original installation, or should the install of Win 7 go badly, I can do so very easily.

Second: I shrunk the Win 8 OS partition and created a New Volume of approximately 50 GB. Since the HDD is in GPT format, I had to install Win7 in UEFI mode but I quickly discovered that on my XPS 8500 the Win 7 install DVD would not boot in UEFI/Secure Mode. Therefore, switch to UEFI Mode/Secure Boot OFF. Continue the Win 7 installation onto the new partition.

When completed with the install, each time the system re-booted I was presented with a text based OS chooser (Win 8 or Win 7). I not only wanted to restore Windows 8's boot logic but I wanted to get the blue boot screen with the OS icons. To accomplish this I booted into Windows 8, selected Settings --> Change PC Settings --> General and finally Reinstall Windows. I suppose I could have chosen the 'Refresh and keep my files' but I did a complete re-install.

This gave me a totally functional dual boot system with OS selection screen on startup. Only caveat is it will not work in Secure Boot Mode. I have to leave it in UEFI Mode ON/Secure Boot OFF.

Hope this helps.

December 20th, 2012 09:00

That’s great! Glad to hear you have it working.

Is your Windows 7 a 32 bit version? Just so you are aware, according to the ‘Windows and GPT FAQ’, only 64 bit versions of Windows 7 will support booting from a GPT formatted drive.

David

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro

9 Posts

December 20th, 2012 11:00

You're correct. I purchased the 64 bit version of Win 7.

Thanks, again!

No Events found!