Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 11th, 2015 12:00

Can I upgrade to Windows 7-32bit to Windows 64-bit using the same Product key?

Hi,

I have Dell Inspiron N5010 which came with Windows 7 pro 32-bit installed out of the box, but unfortunately without the original disk. Now I am looking to upgrade my laptop to Windows 7 64-bit because I want to install more RAM. Though , I don't have Windows 7 disk, I can still download the ISO file from here by verifying my Product ID / Key. But, will the Windows 7-bit version accept , Windows 7 32-bit product ID? I just want to be sure before trying to make a fresh install. Any help would be appreciated. 

PS: In case I want to upgrade to Windows 10, would it cause any issue? 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 12th, 2015 04:00

That new downloader doesn't work with Dell Windows 7 OEM licenses...

You will get:

Unsupported Product The product key you entered appears to be for software that was pre-installed on a device. Please contact the manufacturer for software recovery options.

July 12th, 2015 05:00

Thank you for the info. So it would be better to get the Windows 10 when it's available rather than Windows 7-  64-bit

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 12th, 2015 07:00

At the end of the month use a Windows 10 32 Bit .iso to make installation media to begin the Windows 10 install from the Windows 7 Desktop. Alternatively use Windows Update to get Windows 10 RTM at the end of the month. This will register your device as a Windows 10 device with a Microsoft Product Activation server. You should then be able to download a 64 Bit .iso and clean install.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 12th, 2015 18:00

To answer your question though ... your product key is valid for EITHER 32-bit or 64-bit. IF you decide to get media, you can use your key for a 64-bit install.

No Events found!