Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 2nd, 2009 13:00

Clean install with provided WIN7 dell dvds is it possible?

for those who have already recieved their upgrade kits, is it possible to perform a format and a clean win7 installation with the dvds dell sent you? or are they only good to upgrade from vista?

thanks for any feedback!

370 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 14:00

Yes, you can.  And if you run into problems, there are a couple of solutions.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

1 Message

Do you know if I used Windows 7 64bit am I allowed to have my inspiron 530 memory go beyond 4gb?

14.4K Posts

no the 530 has a max limit on ram of 4 gigs

14.4K Posts

They should be just like the retail upgrade disks and then you can clean install by following the steps outlined. HERE. And it works with 7 so just substitute windows 7 for vista.

I have used this to upgrade my two systems with upgrade media on clean formatted drives

99 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 15:00

Yes, you can do a "clean" (Custom Install).  You can do the Custom "clean" install by inserting the DVD in & running the install from Vista or, the way I did it, you can insert the DVD in & restart your PC & boot from the DVD.  When you run the installation, it will ask you whether you want to "Upgrade" or do a "Custom" Install.  If you want to do a clean installation, click on "Custom" when prompted.

See here for a step-by-step installation guide.

940 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 16:00

Yes the Inspiron 530 can use a max of 8GB with a 64 bit version of windows. The documentation is wrong. When this system was sold there was the option for 6GB and 8GB. If you look on the Dell Outlet right now you will see alot of them with over 4GB of memory in them. Just make sure you have the latest bios installed.

39 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 16:00

thanks a lot guys!

14.4K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 18:00

This only works for a Full version of 7. If the disk is a true "upgrade" disk this will not work as you cannot activate a clean install from an upgrade disk.  There is most likely  some terminology point here. There are 3 basic flavors of a windows disk, A full version, a OEM version, and a Upgrade version.

The full version can be install many many times and on different computers as long as it is only on one computer at a time.

An OEM version is like a full version only it can only be installed on one computer and one computer only.

A Upgrade version is not like a full version in the it's purpose is to do a in place upgrade of the current running OS.

99 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 21:00

Actually, even though it says that it is an "Upgrade" disk, you can to both an upgrade & a "clean" (Custom) Install.  You have the option to do either.  There is no problem activating because you have a new Product Key & the new install is not reliant on the old Key.  You can even (as another person has done here in the forum), re-format your HD (wipe it clean) & install.

26 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 22:00

I did a clean install from my Dell upgrade disk and had no problems, including using the product key to verify my copy.

No Events found!