Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2013 13:00

Computer asking for "other user" user name and password.

This is my son's Inspiron running Windows Vista.  When we power it up the screen displays the "other user" information only and is asking for a password and username.  No matter what I do I cannot get past this screen except to go to setup but nothing I have or can change there makes any difference.  My son is not aware of ever assigning any password or user name to any account on the computer.  Also, he has lost the disk that came with the computer, if he had one at all.  We don't have one now.

I have attempted to research this problem and it seems to be fairly common.  However, the solutions are generally based on the ridiculous if not worse.  One answer started by "Press the Start Button in the lower left hand corner."  If I could get to the start button then I could fix things from there.

Thank you for any help on solving this issue.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

March 20th, 2013 15:00

Hi BaxterP,

By your issue description I understand that you are unable to log in to windows. In order to assist you further, I would request you to private message me the system service tag so that I can confirm the details of the system and help you with the troubleshooting steps.

Kindly private message me the service tag. I will review your account and take the case forward.

To private message, click on my user name, click Add as a friend and click start conversation. 

Kindly reply for further help!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 20th, 2013 18:00

I have merged this thread together. Please reply on the same thread opposed to starting a new post.

This makes things much easier to follow and also Rajesh should get an email notification when you reply.

As this is a software question I am moving this topic to the Microsoft OS Forum.

4 Posts

March 20th, 2013 18:00

To  Dell-Rajesh R

Received your emails requesting the product key.  However, your message is not in my inbox so I have no way to send you this information.  I do have that information handy.

Thanks.

5.2K Posts

March 20th, 2013 21:00

Is there a back-up arrow to the left of the request for the "other user" ? If so, go back one or two screens to where you should be able to enter the correct user/password. If you get in OK, then run netplwiz, select the correct account and un-click the box at the top that requires a password to log on.  If you want to retain a password requirement, then re-select this option. If you don't want a password (if you are a home user, why have passwords?) after un-clicking the option, press apply and enter your password twice and then OK.

2 Posts

August 16th, 2018 17:00

Hi Nikhill , I have a G7 laptop and its having the same problem after i reset my laptop

Its asking me to sign " other user"

Can u help me ASAP?

2 Posts

August 16th, 2018 17:00

Bro i have a G7 laptop and its having the same problem after i reset my laptop

Its asking me to sign " other user"

Can u help me ASAP?

1 Message

November 2nd, 2019 16:00

I am having issues with my dell inspiron 15 I can get past the other user. It's my son's laptop and he cant remember setting up an account. My service tag is

1 Message

March 17th, 2021 22:00

i have same issues after reset my windows, can u help me

1 Message

June 8th, 2021 02:00

Did you find a solution?

No Events found!