Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2005 21:00

Configure Printer on HP JetDirect Print Server

I just got a new Precision Workstation 370 with XP Pro and am trying to connect to my existing printers on my network which are connected to a HP JetDirect 500X.  How do I do this on Windows XP Pro?

12K Posts

January 26th, 2005 01:00

Do you know the IP Address of the printer?  If so, you will add the printer as a local printer to the XP machine using a TCP/IP Port and the port number will be the IP Address.  The rest of the wizrad is pretty self explanatory.

3 Posts

January 27th, 2005 10:00

Thanks for your response.  I finally called Dell and got the help I needed.

12K Posts

January 27th, 2005 12:00

Posting the resolution not only resolves the issue but also helps anyone who might have viewed this message. 

3 Posts

January 27th, 2005 18:00

Okay.  Good point.  Here is how it is done.  Use the wizard for adding a new printer.

1.  Select Local printer, but do not select auto detect for plug & play.  Next.

2.  Select Create a new port.  Select Standard TCP/IP port.  Next.  Next.

3.  Enter the TCP/IP address of the JetDirect print server in the IP Address field.

4.  Enter :RAWn (where n corresponds to the port on the print server, i.e. 1, 2, or 3, etc.).  Don't forget the colon.  Next.

5.  Select approprate Parallel port on print server that printer is connected to.  Next.  Finish.

6.  Complete wizard by identifying printer manufacturer and model to install correct drivers.

No Events found!