Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2011 17:00

Create recovery disk

I am unable to restore to earlier restore points in Windows 7.  I am also unable to use the Windows repair disk I created when I first got my machine (mfgd 9/11/2009).  It is an Inspiron desktop.  I don't have the model number in front of me, I am using another computer because my desktop has a virus that my antivirus products cannot seem to find or fix.  

It is my understanding that Dell computers require a special recover disk to be created by a proprietary Dell program.  That's OK, but I can't find the DataSafe Local Backup program on my desktop machine.  

Can I download this utility?  I'm not sure if I accidentally uninstalled it or not, I've had the machine for two years and can't remember.  

What are my options for recovering the OS if I need to?  I see mentions of hitting F8 during startup, but in 5 tries I was unable to interrupt the startup process of the computer to see any recovery menus. 

Thanks.

Don B

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 18th, 2011 18:00

F8 is all about timing.  You have to press it BEFORE Windows first appears.  Try tapping F8 every second or more as soon as you see the F2/F12 options in the top right corner.

Other option (if you can't use the Recovery Partition and cannot create Recovery Disks) is to order replacement installation disks from Dell.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 18th, 2011 18:00

Don B,

Try reading...

Windows 7 - IMPORTANT Windows 7 Backup Disks to create

Instructions there to create the disks. The disks will be made from the recovery partition, so it can be made on the infected computer.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 19th, 2011 02:00

Alternatively you can use retail .iso files with your Dell Product Key and phone activation as outlined in my guide below.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 19th, 2011 04:00

3 Posts

September 19th, 2011 04:00

No matter what I do with F8, I can't get the recovery menu.  I can do it in one easy keystroke on my Dell laptop, but I have rebooted my desktop system 10 times and hit F8 as many times as possible during the startup until the Windows messages start appearing.  But no recovery menu.

Can I download DataSafe Local Backup somewhere?  That seems like the easiest and fastest way to get the disks I need.  

natakuc4, the pages you're linking to look pretty good.  I'll have to check them in out.  

In the meantime though, can I download DataSafe Local Backup somewhere?  My Dell laptop has it and I can easily use it.  Just seems like by far the easiest way out for me.

Thanks.

Don

No Events found!