Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2007 18:00

Dell Support Center 2.0

Can the Program "Dell Support 3.3" be removed after "Dell Support Center 2.0" has been installed? I have a Dimension 5150/E510 running XP.

27 Posts

November 6th, 2007 18:00

Chris B., Thanks for your response. No, I am not having trouble with Add/Remove programs in the control panel. I simply want to know if I should remove Support 3.3 now that Support Center 2.0 has been installed. Tom

1.1K Posts

November 6th, 2007 18:00

tfmaguire:

Thank you for posting your message at the Dell Community Forums.

What problems are you having? Are you able to uninstall via the Add/Remove programs in the control panel?

Regards,

1.1K Posts

November 6th, 2007 19:00

tfmaguire:

I guess you could, but you will need to latest version of Dell Support in order to ensure the most recent updates are available for your system.

Regards,

2.6K Posts

November 6th, 2007 21:00

TF - someone pointed out to me on another forum that the "More Information" link on the Support Center 2.0 download recommends that you DO uninstall the previous version.  Though, like you, I didn't see it and ended up with two.

What I can't figure is why Dell calls the new one 2.0 when the old one is 3.3 :)

Message Edited by Alexandra_P on 11-06-2007 03:48 PM

27 Posts

November 6th, 2007 22:00

Alexandra_P:

A few days ago I changed settings on the old stuff (3.3) so that it wouldn't open at startup and then changed the name of the file. So far no problem and the new stuff (2.0) seems to be running decently. I figured if things continued, I'd uninstall 3.3.

Did you uninstall and if so, how did it work out?

Thanks,
Tom

2.6K Posts

November 7th, 2007 00:00

Actually, I haven't done it yet - 99% laziness, 1% "ain't broke leave it alone".  Plus my system restore's a bit iffy, and I haven't gotten around to that yet either.

Others have done it just using add/remove programs and didn't seem to have any trouble.  In my case, the old one in Add/Remove is called "Dell Support", the new one is called "Dell Support Center".

I'll post back when I do it. 

5 Posts

Caution:   The Dell Support 3.3 uninstaller in "Add Remove Programs does not remove most of the 3.3 files.  There is not a simple or effective way to remove it so I'd suggest leave it and change the settings not to load at Windows startup.  For the life of me I do not know why Dell does not have a decent uninstaller for its support programs. 

27 Posts

Thanks, I've already changed that setting and have renamed the Program File to "DellSupport_old." Per your warning, I think I'll just leave it at that.

2.6K Posts

November 7th, 2007 01:00

Thanks, Sling.  I've got both deactivated, but I hate bloatware running in the background.  I'm willing to take the risk of missing an update for a few days.

I really hope Dell's paying attention - dozens of threads and counting....

Message Edited by Alexandra_P on 11-06-2007 07:07 PM

2.6K Posts

November 7th, 2007 13:00

Alexandra_P wrote:

I really hope Dell's paying attention - dozens of threads and counting....

Message Edited by Alexandra_P on 11-06-2007 07:07 PM

Sorry Chris - obviously you're paying attention.   Brain hiccup on my part, seeing as how there's a giant DELL logo next to your post and everything....

1.1K Posts

November 7th, 2007 15:00

Alexandra_P:

Not a problem. =)

Dell is paying attention and we sincerely appreciate the feedback that has been provided in your board posts.

Regards,

November 10th, 2007 00:00

I tried to install and it told me my machine was not a dell and then hung when it was trying to upload my machine info to Dell.  I tried it twice and failed twice.  Suggestions?

November 12th, 2007 18:00

Its pretty frustrating.  I understand the complexites of working with software and all its variables, but when the first thing that a program tells you is that you are not who you know yourself to be (Your machine is not a Dell) then you know something is very wrong.

Im used to dealing with Microsoft's issues but I have had 20 Dells over the years and never had an issue quite like this.  Its almost like no one seems to know what is going on with this program. 

If it helps I did read that you can delete the support version 3.3 once the support center software is installed. But were I you, I wouldnt do it.  The old program is probably better.
Larry

27 Posts

I share your frustration. I started this thread with what I thought was a relatively straightforward question:

"Can the Program "Dell Support 3.3" be removed after "Dell Support Center 2.0" has been installed? I have a Dimension 5150/E510 running XP."

I've yet to get a helpful answer to that question, so have kept both on my system, though I've set 3.3 so it doesn't open at startup and have renamed the folder Dell Support_old. The only problem I seem to still have is sprtcmd.exe running in the background and slowing the shutdown process as it is closed. Not really much of a problem, but in my mind still not running properly.

I know this doesn't address your problem. Just joining in your aggravation. Even when 2.0 loads automatically, things aren't exactly as they should be.

Good Luck. We need it.

Let me go over this again.

1.  I tried to install support center 2.0 on my Dell E1705 and the message I got was that the program would not work to full functionality because my machine was not a Dell.  Then I got a completed install message and when it began the next step of reading my machine and setting it up, it hung and didnt do anything. I let it run for 2 hours.
2. I uninstalled, rebooted and repeated. Exact same results.
3. I wrote Tech Support and they told me to go back to a system restore.  Obvioulsy they either didnt read my email of didnt know what to do so they gave me a non-functioning response.
4.  I tried the whole thing again and got exactly the same messages and a hung machine. 

I know I can download drivers and other updates from the Dell site but I really dont know which to take and dont want to spend a full day trying to figure it out.  I have a ThinkPad that does all this automatically so Im a bit dissappointed to find that its manual on Dell. I assume that is what the new support center is supposed to fix, but, well, you see the issue.  Help!
Thanks
No Events found!