Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 15th, 2010 13:00

Dell Webcam Central and Windows XP (also Windows 7)

For all the frustrated Dell customers out there who purchased Dell computers which shipped with Dell Webcam Central, only to have the application stop working with the integrated webcam ("Please plug in a supported webcam"), here's the link to a recent version of the Dell Webcam Central application:

This is version 1.40.05.  It is the full install, not an upgrade, and includes the "Live! Cam Avatar Creator" software.  I installed this package on my Inspiron 1012 running Windows XP Home, and it works perfectly.  It is also the same version that shipped with my Studio 1558 running Windows 7 64-bit.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I believe the problem is caused when Windows Automatic Updates installs a new version of the integrated webcam driver (it is a Microsoft driver).  The old version of Webcam Central (such as 1.06 and earlier) does not recognize the upgraded driver.

Don't bother downloading the "DellWebcamSW" that Dell Technical Support keeps trying to direct me to via "tinyurl.com"  (http://ftp.us.dell.com/app/DellWebcamSW.exe) -- it is an even older version than what shipped with my Inspiron 1012 and therefore won't even install.

Dell really needs to get their technical support act together, at least when it comes to software.  They have had me download Dell Webcam Central (at least three or four times), they have sent me a Dell Webcam Central installation CD, they even sent me a new, pre-imaged hard drive.  The downloads and CD always contained the same version that came shipped with my 1012, or even older, even though I told them I needed a newer version, and the new hard drive did not even have the application installed (I sent the new drive back and kept my old drive).

And don't bother looking for it on the Drivers and Downloads site (either by service tag or computer model).  It's not there, either for my Inspiron 1012 or my Studio 1558, or for any other computer model I looked at.  (The Inspiron 1012 list does not even include all the same drivers that my computer requires.)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 11:00

Zamolxe,

The new link to Dell Webcam Central

Rick

2 Posts

October 16th, 2010 19:00

(Replying to my own post...) For the record, I should give credit where credit is due.  Just to be clear, Dell technical support did not give me the link that I posted, I got it from another Dell Community thread.  It was posted by Pwilly under the thread "Dell Webcam Central & Windows 7 (The Windows 7 Version Of The Dell Webcam Central Program)".  In that answer it was incorrectly referred to as "Dell Webcam manager", but since the thread title referred to Dell Webcam Central, I thought I would give it a try, and it was exactly what I needed.

I decided to create the new thread for Dell Webcam Central and Windows XP, to hopefully help people with Windows XP who have been unable to get this problem resolved through the "proper channels", since I couldn't find a solution anywhere else for that combination of application and OS.

2 Posts

November 5th, 2010 21:00

Hi, thanks for posting the link, I've been looking around for it for a while now. I keep having the same issue; when I click on the saved file to try and download it, an error message pops up saying 'There are no files to download. Please go to Drivers and Downloads to select file(s).' I'm not quite sure what this means, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem, and would happen to know how to resolve it.

- Thanks, :)

Further info: I use a Dell Inspiron 1545, Windows 7.

2 Posts

November 30th, 2010 13:00

Hi, just wanted to leave a message to thanks for this post...trying to find this piece of software or any info on the webcam issue that seems to shroud the inspirons has been a challenge.

I've just re-installed a friends 1545 with win 7 and managed to get everything back as it should be...but the webcam seemed kind of elusive...no drivers via the dell support 'drivers and downloads' site and only the the newer version of webcam central..which won't work as it hasn't got the correct drivers.

Anyway...lifesaver...thanks again for making this available..worked a charm

:emotion-2:

January 28th, 2011 20:00

WOW .....it is so easy to find the right software on dells webiste.....all you had to do was go to www.dell.com and click tech support and then click on my account and then sign in and the scroll down till you see download factory installed software and then click it and you will see where you can download web cam central (consumer) it is by creative and for windows 7 ...... easy as can be ....... you can also download facial recognition software as well.............i dont see why everyone has to blame dell dont get me wrong you would think they would make it easier to get to the download for the web cam a little easier to find but it is there..........................also if your computer is still under warranty all you got to do is call dell and tell them that the web cam central cd was not in the package with your other cds and tell them you need it and they will send it to you as well but your computer must be under warranty or you will ahve to pay for the cd ....................

5 Posts

April 14th, 2011 16:00

It is not so easy for me, I have spent three hours trying to get web cam central using the process you describe. I received my shiny new Dell XPS15 today, the inbuilt webcam was a problem from the outset. I have spent hours trying to get in touch with Dell by email, every sitepage leads to a loop, whatever browser I use and on several different machines. I am now sick to death with the whole matter! I have read your comments and cannot understand how you have found it so simple when so many others have been running round like me, in ever decreasing circles.

22 Posts

April 21st, 2011 22:00

The reason we could not find it easily because we were looking at the public download site at support.dell.com where doesn't provide the user-friendly label called Webcam, and indeed it is not available for download at laptop driver download page.  

For people who have their system registered under their names and usually logged in onto Dell support site with their personal accounts, they could easily click on the link for "Down Factory Installed (My Dell Downloads)".  Several webcam related software could be found from there.  But those files are pretty old.  They may or may be the one actually installed into your system.  Side comment: I personally don't like their download manager handles my download.... 

2 Posts

July 21st, 2011 06:00

Hi

It was a while ago now, but I must have followed the link from the first post in this topic:

Hope this helps

4 Posts

July 21st, 2011 06:00

Hi, just wanted to leave a message to thanks for this post...trying to find this piece of software or any info on the webcam issue that seems to shroud the inspirons has been a challenge.

I've just re-installed a friends 1545 with win 7 and managed to get everything back as it should be...but the webcam seemed kind of elusive...no drivers via the dell support 'drivers and downloads' site and only the the newer version of webcam central..which won't work as it hasn't got the correct drivers.

Anyway...lifesaver...thanks again for making this available..worked a charm

:emotion-2:

Hi! Where did you download the drivers? My 1545 was also reformatted with windows 7 and I can't find the drivers.

I also can't find the installation cds that came along with my laptop.. ><

4 Posts

July 22nd, 2011 09:00

Thanks

Do you by chance, also have the download links for the dell dock and the caps lock/monitor brightness level indicator?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 22nd, 2011 15:00

lizclab,

Dell Dock

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number. I think under applications you should find the caps lock. Also install Dell QuickSet, if it's there.

Rick

4 Posts

July 27th, 2011 10:00

Thank you so much!!! :D

3 Posts

August 19th, 2012 04:00

Hello .. i'm having the same problem like the one mentioned in this post, i;ve tried the link and unfortunately the link is dead.

is there anyone that can upload it ? I have a Win7 32. thx

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 19th, 2012 11:00

R230103 is the direct link to the ftp website.

1 Message

August 21st, 2012 21:00

The link didn't work for me. When I opened it up it said:

We're sorry...

Details for this driver are currently unavailable. Please try again later.

No Events found!