Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2011 22:00

Dell webcam drivers for studio 1558

my webcam wouldnt work because it said an application was using it, so i uninstalled my software n drivers and reinstalled it with dells webcam center and manager. i then got a message saying my drivers werent installed. i later found out in other forums that the dell studio 15 webcam drivers were SPECIFIC, and the drivers for dell generic webcam drivers will NOT work. in order to get these drivers i would need the cd (which i do not have). so if anyone has the dell studio 15 driver cd, would you kindly upload the cd OR the dell webcam drivers from the cd? thanks in advance!

edit: the drivers on the support website for studio 15 are the generic ones fyi.

Spencer

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 24th, 2011 22:00

Spencer,

Try the drivers at...

Installing Dell Webcam Central

Those drivers seem to work on most computers.

Did you do any recent changes, like reinstall the operating system?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 24th, 2011 23:00

itzzspencer,

Running anything like Aim, Skype, Yahoo Messenger, Etc.? If so, try closing them and see if it works.

Does your computer have Facial Recognition?

Rick

11 Posts

April 24th, 2011 23:00

thanks this looks like the original one, however, im back at the original problem i was originally at. which is the "Close the other video streaming application"

11 Posts

April 25th, 2011 01:00

update number two! the dell central  picture examples show that my webcam is working while skype is running. but snapshot mode still wont work. ive tried restarting it and making it run as administrator, but no go. here is a picture of what i mean. unfortuneately my face is on it ><

http://imgur.com/kvL5T

11 Posts

hey, im back for another update. ironiclly my webcam works great with skype, but  even after i completely close skype, the webcam central wont work. even if i attempt to use my browser go to to testmycam.com, it wont work. it doesnt seem like anything else is using my webcam because the webcam light isnt on until i open it on skype.

11 Posts

Thanks for your help rick, no my laptop does not have face recognition, and only internet messenger i use is AIM, which i closed all processes of and i still have this issue. unfortuneately i can not tell you my recent changes simply because the last time i used my web cam was months ago on skype. (which i've already uninstalled). i am going to reinstall skype and see if my webcam works there

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 25th, 2011 03:00

itzzspencer,

You'll have to excuse the pictures. It's 5AM here and it's still kinda dark.

I am using Windows 7 64-bit operating system with Fast Access(Facial Recognition Software 2.4 95). Skype version 5.3.0.111 and Dell Webcam Central 2.00.39

If I have Skype opened and then open Dell Webcam Central, I get this...

I cannot open the big screen on Dell Webcam Central to take a snapshot.

I then closed Dell Webcam Central. I then closed Skype. I opened Dell Webcam Central and got this...

I get this message every time I switch from Fast Access to Dell Webcam Central. I also saw this error message behind it...

If I click on retry, I then see this...

I'm not sure but to get here, I had to close Skype from showing the video of me. Do you have the correct camera selected?

Since I have Fast Access, I have to use the FA Virtual Cam instead of the Integrated Webcam. Same camera just different software.

Rick

11 Posts

April 25th, 2011 04:00

Another update (again). i decided to install FA facial recognition just because im all out of idea. funny thing is that it works flawlessly, but when i open the webcam central, it says facial recognition will be disable (which i assume is a good thing)... it then takes me straight to the screen that says that tells me to close an application using the web cam. im just about out of ideas at this point. would it help if i just flat out told you all my running processes? thanks in advance

Spencer

11 Posts

April 25th, 2011 04:00

thank you for youre time, sorry youre doing this at 5am. but yeah when i close the skype window, itll still wont recognize. and i only have one option for a camera which is "Integrated webcam" i am using windows 7 64 bit as well, but i do not have facial recognition software. should i install one? thanks again rick.

Spencer

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 25th, 2011 08:00

Spencer,

From Googling the problem, it looks lik if yopu unistall Skype, the restart your computer, what happens?

What happens if you install Dell Webcam Central or try this version? Dell Webcam Central v2.00.39

If it works, then try installing skype and see what happens.

Rick

11 Posts

April 25th, 2011 15:00

i uninstalled skype, no go. i then uninstalled the dell webcam center and installed your new link for webcam 2.00 (please note that i am restarting my computer after every step) and i get the message that pops up, "Your webcam may be used by another application. Close the application to start video streaming" I even tried opening the my dell webcam central as soon as my laptop started. Thanks for you help rick, normally i wouldnt need help for somethign this silly, but i am completely confused as to why my laptop thinks my webcam is being used when in all honesty, i dont have much software. I know my antivirus isnt a problem because ive always had nod32, and my firewall is always off

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 26th, 2011 02:00

itzzspencer,

Try creating a new user profile and see if everythiung works from the new user profile.

Rick

11 Posts

April 26th, 2011 13:00

i activated the guest account and completely logged off my main user profile. i still get the message that my webcam is still being used. thanks for your help again

Spencer

904 Posts

April 28th, 2011 06:00

Spencer,

It clearly indicates that another software is blocking the usage of the Webcam

Do check in Programs and Features and see if there is any app as such.

If not then we can try by creating a new 'Admin' account on the system.

If its still the same, then a PC Restore would be the quickest solution.

11 Posts

April 28th, 2011 11:00

Well, i hardly have any software. i made a new admin account and still no go. unfortunately i disable system restore, perhaps i should reformat. how do i use my windows cd key on my laptop? i deleted all forms of back up because i usually never have problems with my computers. 

No Events found!