Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2007 23:00

Dual Boot Setup

Please read, I already have my Inspiron 1705 set up with both XP Pro and Vista Ultimate. Both work fine so far. My question is: Since I have some XP only software and therefor occasionally need to boot into XP, can I do so while Vista is in hibernation or do I have to shut down Vista? It seems as though I could interrupt the boot with F12 or other to get the full boot menu. That would save me a lot of time.

Thanks for your time,
Daniel

1.9K Posts

August 20th, 2007 00:00

That is something I didn't tried when I was on dual boot. After Hibernation do you receive the options to go to the earlier OS, or you don't? If so, give a try. I do not see the need of press F12, F2...

1.9K Posts

August 20th, 2007 02:00

I have used XP and Vista in a dual boot and used Hibernation for both without any issues. They were installed each on their own partition and I was using a third party boot manager ( VCOM System Commander V8 ) which hides the other partitions ( OSs ) from each other. That way you do not have to worry about deleted restore points etc and several other glitches when the OSs can see and interact with one another.

pcgeek11

12.7K Posts

August 20th, 2007 15:00

pcgeek11

Interesting,

http://www.v-com.com/product/System_Commander_Home.html   Looks like nice software, how long have you used it.

So you hibernate one OS, how do you get the other OS booted while one is hibernated? Do you get a boot manager before it resumes from hibernation?

1.9K Posts

August 21st, 2007 01:00

mombodog,

I have been using System Commander I guess it was version 3 ( not sure ) since the mid 1990's about... They have been around quite a while. The software has always worked perfectly for me. You can install as many OS as you want and it hides the various partitions from each other...

Yes it writes its own boot loader into the MBR and that is where it loads the System Commander after you select the OS you want to run System Commander loads that OS into memory and unlods itself from memory so there is zero overhead in memory.

I am currently running Suse, Windows XP and Vista on one hard disk.

pcgeek11
No Events found!