Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 26th, 2008 00:00

Fax Software on Vista?

Hello, all.  I have a new Dell Inspiron 530.  I went to the Control Panel and verified I do have a modem.  Then I tried to verify from a Google Search if it could do faxing.  It seems that a Conexant D850 is indeed capable of faxing.  On my old machine, the fax software was a printer driver.  I could open a document in Word and chose the FaxPrinter and then it would ask me for the fax information.

I didn't see a fax driver when I open Word2003 on my new machine.  So I took a gamble and downloaded a new driver from the Dell website for this modem.  The driver version is 7.58.0.50.  I still do not see a faxprinter driver!  Can anyone please tell me how to use/activate/setup the fax?  I KNOW the modem is capable of faxing so how's it done?  Do I need to download something else besides the latest modem driver?  If I do, do you have any recommendations of free software?  I used to fax maybe 3 pages a month, so most of the "free" services are too pricey.

As a side note:  I purchased my Dell computer at BestBuy 3 weeks ago.  I called Dell about this question.  As soon as they heard I'd bought it somewhere else, I was given a different phone number. Dell said they had an answer but couldn't talk to me because of where I bought it.   When I reached Best Buy, they told me they'd have to send a technician out at $129/hour.  I said WHAT!!!  I am so angry I'm spitting bullets.  I am a tech-savvy person and a 2 minute phone conversation should have solved my question.  Instead, I wasted an hour between these two giants on the phone with nothing to show for it.  And it's such an easy question!

Foaming-At-Mouth  :smileymad:

Debbie Erickson

14.4K Posts

April 26th, 2008 00:00

might want to take a look at this software..

http://www.snappysoftware.com/download.htm

As to the support this is beging to pop up more and more lately..not entirely sure but i do belive BB is feeding you a line of you know what..

From all the info i have read they are supposed to honor you Dell support and warrenty as Dell would Free as long as you are within your warrenty period..

I have some feelers out on this issue and hopefully will have some more info soon..

12K Posts

April 26th, 2008 03:00

I can agree to a point.  Why anyone needs that stupid Home version is beyond me.  However, Paul states that there are too many SKU's of Vista.  Hopefully this will go away with Windows 7.

Leopard is great for the Home User but has no place in the business world, except for you  artsy pople. 

12K Posts

Without third party software, only the Business and Ultimate version of Vista have the capability to fax.

I can understand why you will not get the standard support route form Dell.  That facit is the most costly part of the operation and to sell those machines thru retail outlets cuts those margins even more. 

197 Posts

That is why it is so dumb that the best features are in those versions. I keep kicking myself for not getting the Business version. I could have used complete backup, group policy editor and scan and fax but no those are not included in the home versions and they don't even tell you that those are not included. I got that inaccurate stupid book from Paul Thorrot and it never said that those were only in the higher versions of Vista. Why can't Vista just have one version at a reasonable price like Mac OS X.

14.4K Posts

April 26th, 2008 13:00

Found this on the Dell web site..

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&mp=www.dell.com%2fwarranty&s=gen&~section=012#rpsams

General consenses is that BB is responsible for your support and if during the warrenty period there should be no charge...

April 26th, 2008 14:00

debianne wrote:

...$129/hour.  I said WHAT!!!  I am so angry I'm spitting bullets.  I am a tech-savvy person and a 2 minute phone conversation should have solved my question.  Instead, I wasted an hour between these two giants on the phone with nothing to show for it.  And it's such an easy question!

Foaming-At-Mouth  :smileymad:

Debbie Erickson

Have you tried going to the Control Panel and running the Windows Anytime Upgrade? Yes, you'll have to pay for it but maybe it's worth it for you.

14.4K Posts

April 26th, 2008 18:00

The point is she should have to pay nothing period..

21 Posts

April 28th, 2008 10:00

I am using Dell PC Fax which came with my Dell 926 all in one printer.

Peter

12K Posts

April 28th, 2008 11:00

"The point is we should not have to pay......."

Please be serious. 

14.4K Posts

April 28th, 2008 13:00

Jmwills

im sorry I dont get the point your are trying to make....

The point i was trying to make was that the OP should not have to pay for any service on a system under orginal warrenty...

No Events found!