Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2008 09:00

Function of Important F Keys on Keyboard and Windows Recovery Environment Explanation

I plan to purchase the XPS 630 computer (once the light and fan problems are fixed) with Vista Business.  I would appreciate it very much if someone could confirm/explain the function of the following keys and the windows recovery environment. 

By reading the various Dell forums, I think I may have identified some of the vsery important key functions

F2 - BIOS - System Setup program

F8 - Advanced Boot Options for Vista (which includes option for Dell Factory Image Restore

F11 - Dell Factory Image restore (for windows XP)

F12 - ???

Windows Recovery Environment - I have seen this phase used at times.  Is this the initial screen that comes up when booting from the Dell Vista OS Disk?

• 

16.7K Posts

June 25th, 2008 11:00

scams,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

The function keys that you mention are correct. The F12 key brings up a boot menu. You can review the online manual to get a better under stading of the features by clicking the title below.
XPS 630 Online Manual

56 Posts

June 25th, 2008 12:00

Jesse, many thanks for your reply and information.  I could not get the web page for the  "XPS 630 Online Manual", noted in your email, to come up on my computer.  Could you give me the actual URL and then maybe I can then pull up the manual information.  Thanks again for your help, Sam.

2.7K Posts

June 25th, 2008 17:00

Hi
This is the manual for your 630 .

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

F2 - BIOS - System Setup program

Gets you into the Bios of your computer like if you want to install a new drive
you may have to into the bios and turn the drive on

F8 - Advanced Boot Options for Vista (which includes option for Dell Factory Image Restore
This option is to set the computer back to the way it came from Dell like if you get a
problem with windows a you can not fix  doing it this way will {erase every thing on the C:\drive}
as in all of the software you have installed or music,data files,pictures you know stuff like that.

F11 - Dell Factory Image restore (for windows XP)
This does the same thing but it only works for XP with Vista this does not work it just boots to Vista!
But it should be you push { { {CTRL + F11}}} when you see this www.dell.com on a little blue bar
just after the Dell log on screen and the screens goes black you will see www.dell.com at
the top of the black screen thats when you push CTRL and tap F11 then you get to the restore option off XP!

F12 - ???
You will get a boot menu that says boot to hard drive,cdrom,removable devices,USB storage,Diagnostics partition to test the hardware on your computer or enter setup as in F2 above!
OR you can boot the Vista DVD and do a PCRestore if the F8 key does not work to make it go back to
the Dell factory image Restore you would use F12 and the Vista DVD {ONLY IF F8 DOES NOT WORK} !

This link will show you how to get to the F8,CTRL + F11 and F12 to do all of the PCRestore options .
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=3E48AE3870775D64E040A68F5B2877D4&journalid=4FFE3CA22AAF727CE040AE0AB5E13C42&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=&os=&component=&lang=&doclang=en&toggle=&dl=false

Well enough from me!! 

Good Luck

56 Posts

June 25th, 2008 19:00

Jerry, thanks very much for the excellent information!  Your information gives me a clearer overview of how the F keys function and factory restore.  Thanks again, Sam..

No Events found!