Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2014 17:00

Hard Drive crashed... New Hard Drive but no product key...

My Hard Drive crashed. Apparently it was fried up and I lost everything. I thought that was my only problem...wrong! I had my computer repaired with a new Hard Drive, but now I have less than a month to enter my product key for my Windows 7 Operating System - Home Premium - until it expires, which I assume means I can no longer use my computer as I will not have an operating system to operate on. The problem is that I do not have my product key. I do have the original disks that came with my computer from Dell. My software was preinstalled, but I guess they send the disks in cases like this. I called Microsoft and they were very nice, but since I purchased my computer directly from Dell and the software was preinstalled I was told to contact Dell to see if I can get a new product key. I tried calling Dell but I only got as far as extending my warranty... Anyone know what I can do to get a new product key without purchasing a new Microsoft OS?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 17th, 2014 23:00

Dell will not provide a product key.  It was included with your original system.  If it is a laptop, check under the battery in the battery compartment.  If you use Dell installation discs, you should not need to enter a product key, so if whoever "repaired" your computer and reinstalled Windows didn't use a Dell installation disc, and/or did not activate, then you can either use Dell media to reinstall or activate the current installation with your key.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 19th, 2014 04:00

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 19th, 2014 08:00

Dell Reinstallation media will not ask you for a product key you can boot from it and install.  Driver disks however are not reinstallation media.  The main requirement is that the Media match the version of Windows 7 aka Starter, Home, Pro, Ultimate.

Ubuntu 12.04.5 and Higher works just fine and its free.

ubuntu-12.04.5-dvd-amd64.iso

ubuntu-12.04.5-dvd-i386.iso

September 21st, 2014 18:00

Installing straight from my disk provided by Dell with the purchase of my laptop worked! now when I go to computer > system properties it now says windows is activated instead of counting down the days left for Windows to be usable since I did not have a product key. Thanks everyone!!!! 

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 22nd, 2014 01:00

Thanks for posting your success.

Once you have all the system drivers installed and updated Windows fully, you can install Dell Backup and Recovery and this will make a new factory settings and a internal partition for future use.

See here for details:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery/

No Events found!