Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 11th, 2016 07:00

Help! - New Dell i3847 - Windows 7 Pro - Dell Recovery Disk is Win 8.1 & DBaR won't let me do a System Backup

I bought a new Dell i3847 and it has Windows 7 Pro 64bit factory installed on it.

I wanted to do a full system backup, but the Dell Backup and Recovery software will not allow me to do a system backup.  Further, I have been unable to create a system recovery disk using Dell Backup and Recovery.

I can't use the Dell provided system disk for recovery because it is clearly marked Windows 8.1

1) Why is a Win 8.1 disk included with a Win 7 Pro 64bit system?

2) What is wrong with Dell Backup and Recovery that it:

a) can't create a factory recovery disk

b) won't allow me to create a system back up so I can return it to the factory state

Help!

It's been 2.5 hours and it is still "initializing disk" to create a factory recovery.  It usually fails somewhere during initialization or writing.    Spending hours for each failed attempt to create a factory recovery disk is NOT GOOD!

14 Posts

July 16th, 2016 00:00

The Factory Restore Disk was finally created.

Dell now makes a person pay to create a system backup and the user has to download an update to do it.

Microsoft has a built in tool for creating a system image and making a recovery / restore disk that is free.

So, I did use DBaR to make the factory restore disk.

however, to make a system image and a recovery / restore for that, I used windows 7 built in software.

14 Posts

July 11th, 2016 10:00

It has now been 4 hours and Dell Backup and Recovery is sitting on "Initializing Disk" under create Factory Recovery Media

I can't have it take hours and hours, then fail and then try again.... then take hours and hours.... then fail ... then hours ... then fail...

Help!

14 Posts

July 11th, 2016 11:00

5 hours

14 Posts

July 11th, 2016 12:00

6.5 hours "initializing disk"

is this normal?

Help!

No Events found!