Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 1st, 2006 20:00

How can I change the icons in "my music" ?

Hello friends...  Not really a problem here; just an annoyance that I can't figure out.  When I click "my music", all my music files have a round, multi-colored Windows Media type icon. I don't even use it; I like my Creative Mediasource Player. I hate the Windows Media icons and want to change the music file icons to the aqua blue colored icon of my Creative Mediasource Player.  I tried to right-click the file and go to properties, but the option to "change icon" is not there.  Note >>   I have no troubles with my Creative Player play my songs; all songs open correctly in the Creative Player without problems. I just can't change the icons......
Has anyone else run into a similar situation?  I googled everywhere and found many third party icons; but I don't want any third party one... I simply want the aqua one that my Creative Player has...  

(Creative Mediasource Player is part of my Audigy Soundblaster 2zs software, and I love that player..)

1.3K Posts

September 1st, 2006 21:00

I found this link. This is from an archive and talking about Win98, but it may help.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/win98/maintain/assoc.mspx?mfr=true

There is some registry changes to be made as well. Be careful and before you do anything to the registry, BACKUP!

Message Edited by fudgieguys on 09-01-200603:38 PM

1.5K Posts

September 1st, 2006 22:00

Thank you fudgie; I will read up on the right after dinner tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to get rid of those Windows icons....  Thanks!

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

September 1st, 2006 22:00

No need to go into the registry.

The easiest way is to right click on one of the files, click 'open with' (not open), then click choose program. In the list select the player you want (Creative Media source player). Check the box 'always use the selected program to open this kind of file', click OK.

You need to do that once for each file type (mp3, wav, midi, etc.) you want to open in Creative Media source player when you double click on a file. 

The icon should change automatically when you do that.

1.5K Posts

September 1st, 2006 23:00

Oy Vay ...   The registry editing is a bit technical; I'll definitely create a restore poinht if I attempt that one...

JR...    All my music files do open in correctly in Mediasource Player; no troubles there at all...   the file associations are all correct in regards to what player I want..   But the icons still will not change to the aqua blue one associated with Creative Mediasource  player.  I went through the process again, just to make sure..  I clicked "open with"; then checked my Mediasource player.  All music files play fine in that player, but the darn Windows icons are still there.   Even if I check the "always open with this program"; the icon will not change.

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2006 00:00

That's why I said to go through to the next window by clicking  choose program at the bottom of the menu, select your player in the new window that opens and check the box at the bottom that says always use the selected program......

If you just use open with and select a player on the list in the first menu, it won't change the file association.

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 09-02-200602:01 AM

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2006 14:00

O.K., I don't think I made it clear enough.....    I do not have any difficulties with file associations; I get the impression that you think my music won't open in my preferred choice of Mediasource Player....  they do... they open fine in Creative mediasource.   I do not have any troubles with file assiciations.....

But, what is giving me the troubles is getting rid of the icons for Windows Media player that are on all my music files. I am trying to get rid of those, and have Mediasource icons there...

Here's what I have tried many, many times already..........

I right-click the music file.....   In the box that is presented, I click "open with".   Two programs are listed; Windows Media Player, or my Creative Mediasource player. Also listed is "choose program".   I click the "choose program", and the two preferred program choices are Windows M.P. and my Creative Mediasource.  I then click "Creative Mediasource", then I check-off the small box "always use the selected program to open this kind of file".  Then I click "o.k.".     All music files properly open up in my player of choice,  Mediasource player.  They will always open and play fine in my preferred Mediasource player....   File association is not my problem; changing the icon is...

So either me or you are missing something here; it's probably me because I've never had to change any icons before.  I did change many on my desktop, but not in "my music" files yet.  So maybe I am missing something.    Does anyone know if it is possible to completely get rid of windows M.P. ?  I think it might be integrated into windows XP, so I am not sure....

In case it matters, I did go into "add & remove programs";  "remove Windows components", and made sure there is NO check-mark next to Windows Media Player.  Was I correct in doing that ?  Is that how W.M.P. is not supposed to start up ???

I also did this .......   In "Windows Explorer"; "tools"; "folder options"; "file types";  I associated all MP3 files to play in creative Mediasource... and the proper icon is showing there too. However, there are some audio related files listed in that "file types" list that still have Windows Media Player listed..and that icon for W.M.P. is there too.  Is that possible that this could be some of my dilema? The only thing I changed there was to associate MP3 files to play in my Mediasource; and they do... no troubles there.  But was I supposed to change every file type that has W.M.P. listed?  There are abbreviations & files that I do not know what they are; so I left them alone....   I wont change anything more until hopefully somebody replies to this...  I'd hate to botch things up with this brand new reinstall of XP Home and mess up file types..

This harddrive is brand new; Dell came out here last week and installed a new Western Digital because mine went bad. So this is a new harddrive and freah install of XP Home.    Whew.. this is a lot of typing, lol... and I can only type with one finger too!:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for reading this long post; hope I was as clear as possible...  I wont make any changes here until I hopefully hear a reply and get guidance.  Many, many thanks !!!!!:smileyhappy:

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

September 2nd, 2006 14:00

OK very sorry I had indeed misunderstood.

If you just want to change the icon for a file type, try go to Folder options, File types tab, when the list loads scroll down to the file type, click advanced, click change icon. Click browse, navigate to C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Theme\Icons (or if you have a different path to creative media source, at any rate get to the icons folder). You will see a whole lot of mediasource icons there, (for example for mp3 files, you could select Obj_Music_MP3.ico), Click on the one you want to select it, click open, click OK, OK out of the windows. That should change the icon for the file type you chose.

I hope that does it for you.

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2006 19:00

Awesome, thanks so much JR.  I'll delve into it this evening right after dinner.  It's funny; I had this Creative Mediasource Player for about three years, and I never used it.... I always used Winamp. Then after this new XP reinstall, I loaded all my program disks and sterted to read all the components within this Audigy Soundblaster software. I ordered it a long time ago, but never used it, lol...   But now that I have tried the player, I love it.  The software has a ton of features; many I'll never need I guess...

Thank you again JR....   I'm looking forward to getting rid of those darn W.M.P. icons !!!!!:smileyvery-happy:

Have a safe and happy Labor Day holiday my friend..  Take care..

Tommy

1.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2006 23:00

Success !!:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:    You 'da man, JR... you 'da man!

Thanks so much !!!   My music files now have my aqua blue colored icon.  I am so happy to get rid of those Windows M.P. circular, multi-colored ones...   I'm glad you put that link there too; I "copy & paste"ed  it to get to the icon folder. I never would have been able to navigate there on my own...    Now I gotta pluck out these newly sprouted grays in my goatee, lol...

Thanks again my friend; and also to fudgie too for the Microsoft link on file associations. That's what makes this a great forum; can't tell 'ya how much I learn here from folks like you.

Take care guys...      Tommy

2 Intern

• 

4.4K Posts

September 3rd, 2006 00:00

Well, I'm glad we finally got that sorted :-)

By the way, if you wish you might check the version of Creative MediaSource player/organiser ( on the player or the organiser click Help, About Creative Media Source).

If you have XP SP2, the latest version is  3.30.21, released in August 2005. You can download it from

US site:

or, UK site:

Select your sound card (actually the mediasource download is on all the Soundblaster cards download pages). When you get to the page listing available downloads, I think it's number 6 or 7 on the list. There is also an updated version of Mediasource Go (don't know if you use that, I don't find it very useful).

1.5K Posts

September 3rd, 2006 11:00

Thanks JR; will scope that out today....   There could very well be an update too, as I've had this Creative Audigy Soundblaster software for about three years now.  Nice player too; I like the easy, non-cluttered graphics.  I just re-discovered that I had this software too; I never used it until recently, lol.  I can't remember if I ordered it:smileyhappy: or if it came bundled up on my ole' Dimensions 2350 or 4700'. I think  I had better start my ginkoba therapy now that I am at these darn middle ages, lol.....    Thake care JR; always nice chatting with you.
No Events found!