Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 11th, 2008 14:00

How can I change to Vistax64

Hi,

i am wondering of Dell support can change my Vistax32 to Vistax64, there is a MS webpage but i not sure of what steps I have to do in order to upgrade o Vista Home Premium x64.

¿How much it costs?

Regards,

7 Posts

Visit this link for more information on Windows Vista x64:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=396&tabid=1

It contains a note:

Warning: You cannot upgrade unless you have the 64-bit Windows operating system running on a 64-bit capable PC.

So I think in your case an upgrade option is not available. However, you can buy a retail version of Vista x64 and perform a clean install.

You can also visit this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

Contact Dell support they will send you out an 64 bit disc. It will mean that you will have to a clean install. Its Free.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

7 Posts

Take a look at this Microsoft page, that contains information regarding Windows Vista x64:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/content.aspx?ctId=396&tabid=1

It contains a note:

Warning: You cannot upgrade unless you have the 64-bit Windows operating system running on a 64-bit capable PC.

So I think the upgrade option is not available in your situation. However, you can purchase a retail version of Microsoft Windows Vista x64 and install it on your PC.

You can also visit this page for more information on 64bit systems:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/64-bit.aspx

November 12th, 2008 05:00

Hi, thanks for answer my question.

I have a Dell XPS M1330, and I checkout that Intel T5250 is capable of working with a 64 bit OS.

Regards,

160 Posts

November 14th, 2008 19:00

Not only is it capable of running Vista 64-bit, it will be noticeably superior.  Plus the Operating System swap is free from Dell if you are still under warranty.  If you try it, you'll never go back.  I've had Vista 64 on both my M1330's for about 5 months now.  Love it.....its almost as good as XP!

Tom

5 Posts

November 20th, 2008 08:00

I been told by uk tec support that you are only get a free upgrade to Vista 64bit on certain models of pc's.

30 Posts

December 18th, 2008 11:00

I also have a change OS question. I currently have 32-bit Vista Ultimate w/ 4GB ram and want to upgrade to 64-bit Vista w/ 8GB ram.

I bought this PC from Dell in February 2008.

I have an Intel Core 2 Extreme X9650 @ 3.00 GHz processor and I don't know if it is 64 bit or if it will support 64 bit. Dell support told me that yes indeed it is a 64 bit processor and can support 64 bit Vista Ultimate.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX w. I hope this will support 64 bit Vista Ultimate.

Basically, I don't want to do any hardware upgrades other than RAM up to 8GB and paying for Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Whatever other information you might need from me, I can post but I want to know if and how I can upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64 bit w/ 8GB ram.

Thanks.

160 Posts

December 18th, 2008 16:00

Whatever other information you might need from me, I can post but I want to know if and how I can upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64 bit w/ 8GB ram.
Although you didn't mention what model Dell, based on the processor your system is certainly capable of running 64-bit Vista.  64-bit nVidia drivers are available for the 8800GTX and will probably be offered through Windows Update as soon as you get the new OS loaded.  You'll NEVER go back to 32-bit.

You shouldn't have to pay anything for the OS swap.  If you contact Dell Support they should send you the 64-bit disk right away.  If they tell you no, don't give up, seems like half of the support reps. know about the program and half don't; some are very helpful and some are rude about the swap.  Help is available through the laisons to get the disk.  If it were the old forums, I could point you to the thread about getting the disk shipped, but this new forum is miserable.

The upgrade itself isn't very difficult.  Download all of the necessary 64-bit drivers from the Dell Support page and put them on a flash drive or CD, snap in the new memory, boot to the new Vista disk and about 25 minutes later you'll be in business and will never look back.

Now, as a precaution....here's a suggestion.  Hard drives are a dime a dozen now.  You can get a good 500 or 750GB HDD from Newegg for less then $75.  Depending on your level of expertise and/or level of confidence, I'd experiment on a separate HDD and save your factory HDD just in case.  Alternately, save the files in your D:\RECOVERY partition so you can restore your computer to factory-new condition.  At the very least save the one file D:\RECOVBERY\Dell\Image\Factory.wim.  That image file is your whole system as it came from Dell.

30 Posts

December 18th, 2008 21:00

Hi Zrtom, thank you so much for your help,

My model is the XPS 420.

Another question. If I upgrade to 64 bit, can I keep the 4GB of ram for now? I have 4GB ram on the pc currently. Can it be enough for the time being?

Also, when I buy the 2GB ram chips (X4) are the ones that the Dell upgrade page offers decent enough or should I buy from somewhere else?

Thanks.

-Kinglobjaw

160 Posts

December 18th, 2008 23:00

You will see the benefits of the 64-bit Operating System immediately, without adding any more RAM.  I've been going to add 4GB more to my XPS 420 but haven't gotten around to it; it works great with 4GB.

I'm not sure what Dell is selling for upgrade RAM but usually it's nothing fancy.  I think you might be able to get better and cheaper RAM elsewhere.  I've been eyeing Corsair Dominator and Patriot Extreme 1066 mHz memory at Newegg for my XPS 420.  With rebates and free shipping you're looking at 2x2GB sets for under $40 and $50, respectively.  Or some pretty good 4x2GB sets for around $100.

30 Posts

December 19th, 2008 06:00

I tried tech support and online chat and they are both telling me that my system is not capable of Vista 64 bit which I now know is a lie, and that it would void my warranty and that the online option for me is to buy it from Dell sales ($319.00 bucks + tax) How do I get them to mail this to me? Maybe if they mail just the version I have, this time it will be  DVD with both versions on there like in Best Buy or other stores?

160 Posts

December 19th, 2008 07:00

If you are in the US, I'd either call them again and referenced the DSN Document ID: 15809 (which autorizes the OS swap)

-or-

send a PM to Dell-Jesse L: http://en.community.dell.com/members/DELL_2D00_Jesse-L/default.aspx

He's been very helful in getting the disk shipped.  Per Dell's policy, you are entitled to the 64-bit version so you need not pay anything.  MANY, MANY people on here have had the same problem you are having but once the correct Dell liason is contacted, they usually get the 64-bit disk overnight.

61 Posts

December 19th, 2008 09:00

Contact Dell support they will send you out an 64 bit disc. It will mean that you will have to a clean install. Its Free.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

Is this still true?

Just recently received an XPS 730 (H2C) purchased, apparently, as a "clearance" machine.  Good for me.  Got the best machine I could possibly afford.

I ordered it with Vista Ultimate 32-bit, because there was not a 64-bit option.  I knew which Vista version would be installed (though Dell did fall flat on that.)  So I'm not complaining about this powerful machine I own with a 32-bit version of Vista.

I'm rather enjoying it.  (I am NOT a gamer.)  Primary use will be web development stuff with Adobe CS4 Master Collection.

No.  I'm REALLY enjoying it.

Because I ordered the machine with Vista Ultimate, and I'm fairly but not absolutely certain I paid approximately the commercial price, and since the commercial product includes separate discs for 32-bit and 64-bit versions, I expected both discs to be included in my shipment.  I only received a 32-bit SP1 Reinstallation disc.  (Machine arrived with the earliest version of Vista Ultimate.  Had to download and install SP1 before I could install Adobe CS4 Master Collection.  If anything goes wrong, that means I can't use the restore settings unless I want to spend all that download time sipping coffee and watching cable TV.  I've got to use the reinstallation CD.)

So, can someone confirm that should I contact Customer Support, they will understand and honor my request for the 64-bit Ultimate disc?

Yes.  I understand that should I install the 64-bit version, software support is not provided by Dell.  (But . . . it ought to be.)  Upgrading is months away . . . next year sometime . . . when I need it and can afford to spend a few hundred dollars on a memory upgrade.  Thought I anticipated that when I ordered Vista Ultimate with my purchase.  I'm kinda looking at a Dual Boot scenario to keep things workable for Dell Technical Support when or if I need them.

Much thanks,

K.

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

December 19th, 2008 11:00

Hi Kwanah, Contact Dell support and ask for it.

61 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 08:00

Thanks, Robin;

Called.  Eventually got some person who placed me on hold to research my order.  Then . . . the line dropped and went to a busy signal.

21 minutes wasted . . . grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Of course there is no auto callback from Dell.  So, I've got to go through the queue from the end of the line and hope for the best.

Didn't sound from speaking to the lady like my request is something she is familiar with.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Best,

K

No Events found!