This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2012 12:00

How do I disable the touchpad when using a mouse

I have a Dell Vostro with Windows 7

This is very frustrating!!!

HELP.

October 31st, 2012 17:00

Hi,

The enabling and disabling options for touchpad might differ in laptops. Hence, please provide the model number of the Vostro so that I can assist you better.

Meanwhile, follow the steps below to disable the touchpad:

1. Click Start.
  2. In the Search box type main.cpl, click main.cpl in the list of programs. In Windows XP click Run, type main.cpl in the box next to Open, click OK.
  3. Click the Dell Touchpad tab.
  4. Click on the picture of the touchpad.
  5. Click Device Select.
  6. Click to check the box to the left of Disable Touchpad / Pointing Stick when external USB mouse is present to disable the touchpad. Uncheck the box to enable the touchpad.
  7. Click Apply and click OK.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 09:00

I have a Dell Vostro V131 running Windows 7

November 5th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Thanks for the information. The F3 key on the keyboard is used to disable the touchpad. (Refer to the picture below)

Press and hold the key then press the key.

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

November 5th, 2012 09:00

Yes, I tried that and it does nothing.

4 Posts

November 5th, 2012 09:00

By the way, I did just have the hard drive replaced with a new one the Dell sent us.

November 9th, 2012 05:00

Hi,

Since you installed a new hard drive, I would suggest you to update the Touchpad driver and then try to disable it with the Fn + F3 key.

Please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

January 21st, 2013 01:00

Hi 

Where can i get the Driver for the Above 

January 21st, 2013 01:00

Hi

I am not able to find the Attachment/the navigated URL does nothing

3.3K Posts

January 21st, 2013 21:00

Hi Chethan Rajashekaraiah,

May I know do you have the same system model?

Kindly private message me the service tag. I will help you with the correct drivers for touchpad.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Awaiting your response!

January 21st, 2013 22:00

Sorry ,I didnt get friend request but i have sent you the request please accept that'.Also i have my Lap details

Regards,

Chethan Rajashekaraiah

5 Posts

March 15th, 2013 07:00

Go to Dell Support and look for the touchpad driver. Reinstall it and then you can disable it. Worked for me on my Vostro 1500.

1 Message

June 13th, 2013 00:00

I too am facing issues with the touchpad - the cursor jumps everywhere, and if you don't pay attention, you start typing anywhere the cursor has jumped. So I need to disable the touchpad.

I have a Dell Vostro 1440, running Windows 7 Home Premium. The F3 button does not work. And the control panel does not show touch pad option.

1.5K Posts

June 13th, 2013 02:00

Hi AshG,

You may uninstall and reinstall the touchpad drivers. Please follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’
  • Click > sign next to ‘Mice and Other pointing Device’
  • Right click the entry listed under  ‘Mice and Other pointing Device’ and click ‘Uninstall’
  • Click ‘Yes’ on the security warning

To reinstall the driver, you may refer to the link: http://dell.to/16gYZWM.

You may update the system BIOS. Please refer to the link: http://dell.to/17bzV6r.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

1 Message

July 5th, 2013 01:00

hi AshG and Dell_Priyanka_S

well I have the same problem, but the suggestion of Dell_Priyanka_S is very useful, and it works,

thank you very much,

It really help me :)

regards,

bung endy

July 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi bungendy,

Great to be of help :emotion-2: and good to know that it worked for you.

Please do write to us if you require further assistance in the future.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!