Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 5th, 2006 14:00

How do I get rid of McAfee?

I just purchased a Dell Dimension E310. It came equipped with McAfee Security Center and VirusScan installed. I want them off my computer. I detest McAfee, have never had anything but problems with any of their products. I use Eset's NOD32 as an anti-virus program, forgive the plug but it's the best product of that type I've ever encountered. I have transferred the NOD32 installer from my old computer to my new computer, and am just waiting until I can get rid of McAfee because it causes problems if you have a competing antivirus program on the system and try to install NOD32. I also transferred from my old computer a McAfee removal tool to get rid of VS, so there's no problem there. However, in add/delete programs, I see no way of getting rid of Security Center. The only McAfee program listed is "McAfee Uninstaller" which is exactly what I'm looking for, the only thing is I can't find it anywhere on the computer. I guess it's buried somewhere so that it will be difficult to find because I guess McAfee is being pushed. Can anyone give me any idea how I can rid my system of McAfee so that I can get NOD32 on there?

549 Posts

July 5th, 2006 21:00

Hi
You could try this

Another way to get rid of Mcafee.  This from  Dell Moderator-Chris M

* Power the system off
* Power the system on
* At the blue Dell, tap F8 to bring up the Windows boot menu
* Scroll to and select Safe Mode [Press the Enter Key]
* Select the first or only operating system [Press the Enter Key]
(2)
* Click Start- Control Panel- Add or Remove Programs
* Double-click the Add or Remove Programs icon
* Click Remove a program
* Click the McAfee application you want removed (if it isn't listed, close the Control Panel and skip to number 3)
* Click the Change/Remove button
* The InstallShield Wizard dialog box, select the Remove check box
* Click Next
* If you get a window for "Remove Share Component", click "Yes to All"
* If you get a window for "Remove Share File", click "Yes to All"
* Click Yes
* When finished, close all boxes
* Do NOT restart the computer when asked
(3)
* Click Start- Find or Search- Files or Folders
* "Look In" should say Local Hard Drives
* Type McAfee [press Enter]
* Delete any/all found, close all boxes when finished
(4)
* Click Start- Run
* Type regedit [press Enter]
* Highlight My Computer
* Click Edit- Find
* Type McAfee [press Enter]
* Delete any/all found, press F3 to continue searching. Delete any/all found
* Close all boxes when finished
* Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Restart

It's gone.

Message Edited by chasbox on 07-05-200606:39 PM

10 Posts

July 6th, 2006 01:00

I figured it out. When I clicked on McAfee Uninstaller in add/change programs, it actually came up with uninstallers for each of the McAfee items. I used the VS removal tool that I'd already downloaded to get rid of Virus Scan, then uninstalled all the other stuff, and after numerous reboots my machine was free of McAfee, and I was able to get NOD32 on the computer and configured and up and running in a matter of minutes.
No Events found!