Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 24th, 2005 19:00

How do I install "Dumpchk utility" from the Reinstallation CD?

Hello!

In order to read the Minidump files, I have to install the command-line Dumpchk utility.

It is installed with the Setup.exe program in the Support\Tools folder on the CD.

I read this, but I couldn't find the "Winsdows XP CD-ROM", all I have is a "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"...

Is this the same thing? (It might be, but I find the name quite deceiving...)

I'm just afraid I might lose all my files if I ever use the "Reinstallation CD".

How do I open the Setup.exe program EXACTLY from the "Reinstallation CD", without losing anything?

Any instructions?

Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
Anna

28K Posts

June 24th, 2005 19:00

The Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition is the same thing as the Windows XP CD-ROM.

Steve

4.4K Posts

June 24th, 2005 21:00

Note that if your XP CD is XP SP1 or earlier, and you have updated to SP2, you need to download and install the SP2 Windows support tools.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=49ae8576-9bb9-4126-9761-ba8011fabf38&displaylang=en

(although, if you only want to use dumpchk that was not updated in the SP2 pack, so the one from your CD would be OK)

Message Edited by JRosenfeld on 06-24-2005 11:29 PM

3 Posts

June 24th, 2005 22:00

Thank you Steve and JRosenfeld for your help!

I still have the original Windows XP (Dell Dimension 8200).

Well, ...I installed and reinstalled the Support Tools TWICE from the CD-ROM, but the dumpchk command is still not working:

the dumpchk black window opens up for half a second, and then closes.

Dumpchk won't stay open!!!

Should I try to find the reason why (does anyone know???), or should I just download a Debugging Tool from Windows such as:

Debugging Tools for Windows - Native x64, in order to open the dump files ???

There are so many Debugging Tools to choose from, I'm not sure which one is the right one for my computer.

Thank you very much,
Anna

18.8K Posts

June 24th, 2005 22:00

AnnaGC,

Try going to Start|Run, entering cmd and clicking OK. Then enter dumpchk at the command prompt.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2005 23:00

Thank you Denny, that worked!

I'll see if I can figure out what caused the error.

I'll try tomorrow to make sense of it,.. looking at all those numbers has made me real dizzy!

Thank you again,
Anna

4.4K Posts

June 25th, 2005 20:00

There was no error. If you just start dumpchk it does its thing and closes its window (you saw it flash), If you run it from a cmd prompt, its output shows in the cmd which remains open. This is normal for execs that run from a command prompt or from the run box with appropriate command switches (the ones with a 'DOS' icon). If in the cmd prompt you type dumpchk /? you get all the switches for dumpchk and how to use them; similarly for other command prompt execs. 
No Events found!