Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2006 16:00

How do I make a backup copy of the pre-installed Windows XP

I bought a new Dell Dimension 3000 and it came with preinstalled XP.  The literature that came with it suggests making a copy of the operating system and to visit "support.dell.com/pcrt" however I can't locate the proper directions.  There is a method listed for computers made prior to mine.  It states to go to start, all programs, dell accessories and then create cd.  On my system, there is no ability after clicking on the Dell accessories.  Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 21st, 2006 17:00

You have old info. You cannot make a backup copy of XP. Contact Dell and politely ask for the cd and don't give up until you get it. Don't let them tell you to use the Recovery partition. You had the opportunity to order the cd when you ordered the computer, but it is hidden in a "dropdown" menu on the ordering page.

January 21st, 2006 17:00

Thank You.  I was just on hold for a long time and found out I had been transferrd to a pay tech support line.  I am going to keep trying to get in touch with someone who can help me. 

January 21st, 2006 18:00

After some continued insistance I am getting a disk mailed to me.  Thanks again.

570 Posts

January 22nd, 2006 14:00

this is the url for the procedure:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

From my experience, it is more convenient to contact Dell through "Chat with the Customer Service" than by phone.

1 Message

February 20th, 2006 13:00

I have been trying to register with Dell for about a week now to ask them to send me the XP disc etc but registration always seems unavailable. Will I ever be able to contact them over the internet?

11.9K Posts

February 20th, 2006 14:00

@Johnofrhyl wrote:
I have been trying to register with Dell for about a week now to ask them to send me the XP disc etc but registration always seems unavailable. Will I ever be able to contact them over the internet?

Registration is not needed.  To chat, your Service Tag has to be in the database and you have to be a Home customer. You can email anytime, or call.
No Events found!