Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2011 08:00

How to Install Windows 7 on a brand new Vostro 3500, which has already got Ubuntu 10.10 on it.

Yesterday, I have bought Vostro 3500.

Ubuntu 10.10 is already installed on it.

Now, I want to install Windows 7(32 bit), by overwriting the Ubuntu OS.

When I was trying to install Windows 7, I found that there were 4 partitions on my Hard disk.

1. Dell Utility(41MB)
  2. OS(5.4GB FAT)
  3. 310GB -ext4
  4. 4.2GB-swap

Please, let me know what are the partitions that I should not delete. And also provide me some good reason.

Thank you.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

August 17th, 2011 08:00

Well, if you want to overwrite Ubuntu, then you don't need any of them.  Also, keep in mind that Windows cannot use ext4-formatted partitions, so if there is data on that partition that you need, back it up now.  When you install Windows 7, simply delete and format all partitions on the disk.

1.  The Dell Utility partition contains diagnostics that can be run during startup, but you don't need this, as you can download the same (actually newer, updated) diagnostics from support.dell.com to run instead.  Delete it.

2.  This is your partition that Ubuntu is running on ... if you are overwriting Ubuntu, then this must go.  Delete it.

3.  This is your data partition for Ubuntu ... as it is formatted in a format recognized only by Linux, it is useless to Windows.  Delete it.

4.  This is your swap partition (used like a page file in Windows) ... used for Ubuntu and useless to Windows.  Delete it.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 17th, 2011 16:00

See instructions below for advice on a clean install of Windows 7.

Once you install Windows 7 you may install wubi.exe and use this to install Ubuntu. It will create some sort of dual boot where you can either load Windows or Ubuntu when you power up (Windows will be the default).

August 18th, 2011 20:00

What is the use of Dell Utility partition ?

No Events found!