Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 26th, 2014 15:00

How to Restore original Windows Vista (English) for Dell Latitude D630

Dear Dell team,

I am writing to ask for your kind support to install the original Windows Vista and all the factory configuration that Dell LAtitude D630 includes. I acquired this machine and it had installed Microsoft Windows 7 and I am not satisfied with this version. Would you mind in helping me to create the factory image and install it?

I appreciate your support.

Thank you in advance,

Pedeo

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 26th, 2014 18:00

Windows 7 should perform better than Windows Vista in all ways. It sounds like it wasn't loaded very well, I would advise, obtaining you Windows 7 Retail product key (if you don't have it) using Berlarc Advisor and performing a clean install following my instructions here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-7/

3 Posts

December 27th, 2014 05:00

Thank you Natakuc4, unfortunately I don't have the key, I just turned it on and realized the machine brought a W7 version which is not genuine and is running inappropiately, that's the reason why I need to reinstall the Windows Vista and all the factory settings, could you please help me?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 27th, 2014 07:00

Okay it makes sense, if you were sold a non-genuine Windows 7 license I would return the machine.

Otherwise you can follow the instructions here to download Windows Vista:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-vista-sp1-iso/

And to Clean Install here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows/a-clean-install-of-windows-vista/

3 Posts

January 7th, 2015 15:00

Thanks Philip, I follow your recommendations and read the interaction with the users in your website however I haven't been able to install successfully Windows Vista, please find below a full description of the issue, I wrote it in the website as well.

I have followed your recommendations for the Windows Vista 32 Bits SP1 installation, I am creating the image in windows 7 64 bit using the following files and sizes: MicrosoftInstaller 81,2 MB (83182 KB), install.wim 2,59 GB (2.717.937 KB) and boot.wim 126 MB (130.010 KB). It completes successfully the first three instalation phases: 1) Copying files, 2) Expanding Files and 3) Installing features but I find this the following error after starting the 4th stage: Installing updates, it doesn’t complete this phase nor the 5) Completing installation, the error message is the following: “Install Windows: Windows could not set the offline locale information: Error code: 0x80FE0000”

After of that I try without creating a new image (I use the same pendrive), it only completes the first and the 2nd phase and this error arises: “Windows cannot install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070017”.

I tryed again and it could install the windows vista 32 bits however when is starting it generates the error 0xc00000e9 "Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt." the path is \windows\system32\drivers\adpu160m.sys. I tryed with the "Safe Mode" option and it didn't work neither.

I am deleting the partition, creating a new one and then formatting it before start the installation process. Regarding the Driver for SATA the installation wizard discard all the options downloaded both from Intel and Dell websites however I don't use it because the hdd is recognized.

The other option: I have tried installing Windows Vista 64 bits SP1 and it completes the instalation, however the big issue is that once is installed it does not allow me to install the SP2 neither update any drver such as video, RAS Async adapter plus the computer is very slow, it is a Dell Latitude D630, actually when I run the windows update it identifies 115 then install 112 and when the system restarts falling in an infinite loop, from the BIOS screen to the windows vista Bar and then it re-initiate the process again, again and gain.

I really appreciate your help, it looks straigh forward but it is definitevely tricki.

Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 7th, 2015 18:00

Have you run the full F12 preboot diagnostics:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/f12-preboot-diagnostics/

January 7th, 2015 23:00

You may order a system disk from Dell parts.  They may charge you for it but you should get one.

January 8th, 2015 12:00

Thought:  If the ".iso" files downloaded have the slightest "bad" bit anywhere within them, then there is a chance this will cause the process to fail.  I have not tried to download and create the Vista SP1 installer as recommended, I am mainly speaking from past experiences.

Many CD Burning applications have the ability to create a disk (typically a CD-ROM) containing only a .ISO bootable image file.  I would NOT trust this "ImgBurn" utility if special steps must be taken to insure spyware/malware is not also loaded on to whatever disk volume it creates. (IMHO)

If the files have only been downloaded once, it might be easiest to try again.  Download them completely all over and see if the final file sizes are the same (or possibly a few bytes larger).

No Events found!