Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 27th, 2009 09:00

How to get refund on unused Microsoft OS

I am thinking about buying Dell desktop. But I am not going to use Vista on it. How could I get the refund on the unused OS?

According to the Microsoft EULA, I am entitled to it. Is that document applicable to the OS preinstalled by Dell?

Dell support guy told me that Dell is using OEM EULA, so according to it I am not entitled. Anyone has a text of that document to prove me right or wrong?

Thanks for any information,

3 Posts

What about all those links in Google about guys who got refunds on preinstalled OS from Dell?

I do want Dell computer. I just do not want Windows.

Since you're quoting EULA, buy any chance to you have its text (or URL)?

2.2K Posts

The OEM EULA does not guarantee a refund for just the OS. It says to contact your vendor for their refund policy.

Dell has a 21 day refund policy for their computers in the US. They mention a 15% restckojng fee, but that sometimes get waived, particularly if the machine is defective.

I'd strongly recommend NOT buying something and then trying to change the deal after you receive the computer. Find a seller who has what you want.

3 Posts

August 27th, 2009 10:00

Thank you very much for the link! I read that statement in the EULA. So, is there an official statement from Dell on "return policy"? According to google, there were some cases when Dell refunded for unused OS. So, it is possible, isn't it?

2.2K Posts

August 27th, 2009 10:00

"What about all those links in Google about guys who got refunds on preinstalled OS from Dell?"

Are there really that many? I see a few, and they all have an urban legen sound to them. Even if accurate, I can't  comment on it, as Dell's official policy is to have the whole computer returned and not refund the OS separately. Despite popular lore among some, Dell does have the right to do that.

"Since you're quoting EULA, buy any chance to you have its text (or URL)?"

The text:

"By using the software, you accept these terms. If you do not accept them, do not

use the software. Instead, contact the manufacturer or installer to determine their

return policy for a refund or credit."

The source:

http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx

2.2K Posts

August 27th, 2009 12:00

Taken from Dell's Return Policy:

"Application software and operating systems that have been installed by Dell may be returned only if installed on a returnable system, and only if you return that system within the applicable return period. "

The link to the complete policy:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/policy/en/policy?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~section=018

No Events found!