Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2005 16:00

How to recover accidentally deleted iexplore.exe

Hi:

In deleting Earthlink files in my old computer (Dell Dimension L667r running windows 98 SE), I accidentally deleted iexplore.exe.  Can someone please suggest a recovery procedure?  

Best wishes,
Fred 

18.8K Posts

June 21st, 2005 18:00

fredhep,

Go to Start|Settings|Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs and look for Microsoft Internet Explorer X and Internet Tools. Click to remove it and you will see a context menu which offers to either repair the current installation or roll back to the prior version (assuming you have upgraded since receiving the computer).

28 Posts

June 22nd, 2005 02:00

Hi:

I went through the procedure and chose the restore previous version option.  The computer completely uninstalled Internet Explorer and now it isn't even listed on the "Add/Remove Programs."  Apparently there was no previous version.  Dell didn't supply an installation CD for Internet Explorer that I can find.  The "Dell Product Recovery CD" is apparently for Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition.  The "Dell Dimension ResourceCD" doesn't list Internet Explorer.  Any further suggestions?

28 Posts

June 22nd, 2005 02:00

I found the CD for Internet Explorer 6 SP 1 (for Windows 98 and all other non-XP versions) available on the Microsoft web site and have ordered it.  I hope that will solve my problem.

9.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2005 11:00

Check to see if you still have a folder/directory on your hard drive called: c:\windows\windows update setup files.  If you do then contained in that folder/directory should be the cab files to install Internet Explorer along with a iesetup6.exe program to start the install.

28 Posts

June 23rd, 2005 02:00

Hi:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have a whole slough of IE files, as follows:

ie6setup,exe, iesetup.dir, and iesetup.ini.

IE_EXTRA.CAB, IE_S1.CAB, IE_S2.CAB, IE_S3.CAB, IE_S4.CAB, IE_S5.CAB, IE_S6.CAB, IEDATA.CAB, IEDOM.CAB, IEEXINST.CAB, and IELPKAD.CAB.

Even if I wait for the CD, I'm curious how one would go about installing from all of these. 

Best wishes,

Fred

9.4K Posts

June 23rd, 2005 10:00

Installation is simple.  Just run the ie6setup.exe file and the installation process will begin.  Once installed then visit the Windows Update Site on-line to get the necessary updates.
No Events found!