Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2017 00:00

Inspiron Desktop 660s, need ISO for operating system?

I need a disc to reinstall factory due to hard drive crash. My PC did not come with one nor am I able to find an ISO online. Please help with this matter

Thank you

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 27th, 2017 04:00

You can use Windows 10 Version 1709 Installation Media which will work with your Windows 7 OEM key printed on the affixed COA or Windows 8/8.1 OEM key embedded in the UEFI BIOS:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-1709/ 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 27th, 2017 04:00

Dell does not and never has provided Factory Reinstall ISO's.  They also do not provide DVD for reinstall if warranty is expired or windows is no longer supported for XP VISTA 7.   Digital River downloads for Windows 7 ISO are also gone from microsoft.  You can get windows 8 disks from Ebay and Amazon.  Windows 8.1 disks are also out there.  Windows 10 reinstall media is USB Flash.  You can also buy OEM System Builder copies for 7 8 10.  Windows 10 is the ONLY os availble retail and support wise at this point.

https://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588491

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416892

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 27th, 2017 06:00

They do not and have not offered ISO's for Inspiron 660s.

W7HP64, USB, WW, MUI, DT
Kit, Software, W7HP64, Universal Serial Bus, World Wide, Multiple User Interface, Desktop

They They do not and have not offered ISO's for systems that are no longer covered under Warranty.

They do not and have not offered Windows 7 Dell OEM ISO's ever and never will.

They did at one time offer a one time use USB flash drive.

This too is now gone forever.

Windows 7 is in Extended support mode until 2020 when its dead.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 27th, 2017 06:00

Dell does not and never has provided Factory Reinstall ISOs. 

They may not have had offered ISOs in the past, but they do now.

Using the Service Tag number of a the Latitude E6320 that I bought from DellAuction.com, I was able to download Windows 7 Pro 64-bit directly from Dell using Dell OS Recovery Tool. It took nearly 5 hours on my slow internet connection but I got it. The laptop's hard drive was wiped clean but it originally came with Window 7 Pro 64-bit.

Information at http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/article/Product-Support/Self-support-Knowledgebase/software-and-downloads/dell-backup-solutions/Media-backup?dgc=SM&cid=60916&lid=777082590&linkId=33369211

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 27th, 2017 08:00

My E6230 is not under warranty unless you count the 90-day warranty from DellAuction.com

I still was able to download the ISO this past weekend.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/osiso/win

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 30th, 2017 11:00

Order Recovery Media

If you prefer to use a physical device, please contact Dell technical support to order a copy. If your product is no longer in warranty, there may be a fee associated with this service.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 30th, 2017 12:00

Although there is some good data in this thread, my apologies for the turn of tone. Since the 2012 Inspiron 660s shipped with an optical drive, my advice is to purchase the Dell OEM operating system CD from this 3rd party.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

November 30th, 2017 14:00

Although there is some good data in this thread, my apologies for the turn of tone. Since the 2012 Inspiron 660s shipped with an optical drive, my advice is to purchase the Dell OEM operating system CD from this 3rd party.

Why buy when the OP can download his own copy of the ISO for free?

It is all very simple. Enter your service tag #. If there is a download available, it will let you download it.
Very simple. Isn't it?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/osiso/win

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 1st, 2017 05:00

Actually its more complicated than that.  Having a service tag will not let you download media unless you are downloading said media ON THE MACHINE type.  Aka you cant download a 660 media on another kind of dell or worse a non dell machine.  I'm also fairly certain that a government laptop vs consumer 660 have different availability for support and media.

I find it ironic that the 3rd party is using this image.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 1st, 2017 06:00

Easy for some. Some users do not know how to prepare a USB key, move the ISO to it, all the other little steps needed. With a CD, you simply insert it, restart, press F12, choose CD. But again, all good advice on the thread. I just think that several choices for the user is better than only offering one.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 1st, 2017 08:00

You cannot use the SLP key for windows 7 it must come from a legit Home or Pro Key.  So you have to say home or pro install at the "I dont have a key stage".

You can use the SLP key with a Windows 7 install. Once Windows 7 is installed, online and activated with OEM SLP you can insert the Windows 10 media and go into the sources folder and look for the gatherosstate.exe. Copy it to the Desktop and launch it, it will create a genuineticket.xml file.

You can then clean install Windows 10 without the key as you stated. It will not be activated however you can copy the genuineticket.xml file to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket and after you restart your computer Windows will be activated. Useful if the COA is faded. This is only required once and any subsequent Windows 10 installs without a key will lead to automatic product activation when online.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 1st, 2017 08:00

I purchased WIN10  1703 system builder package.  I use the DVD to install with the  "I don't have a key option"

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832588520

and then change the Key Online to activate.   This seems to work fine for windows 7 or 8 or 10 systems.

You cannot use the SLP key for windows 7 it must come from a legit Home or Pro Key.  So you have to say home or pro install at the "I dont have a key stage".

Once this is Done I install AOEMI One Key the free version to give them a recovery partition.   This was recommended to me by Microsoft.

For meeting most users’ demands, AOMEI OneKey Recovery Free Edition is designed for backing up and restoring system with one key. It can backup system to factory partition, and you can press F11 or A to use factory image to restore your computer.

https://www.backup-utility.com/okr-free.html

Price: Free

http://www2.aomeisoftware.com/download/ok/OneKeyFree.exe

Supported Operating Systems

Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista and Windows Server 2003/2008/2011/2012/2016

Supported Storage Devices

Local disks, External hard disks, Solid state drives, USB flash drives, etc.

Supported Disk Types

MBR disk, GPT disk and UEFI boot mode

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 1st, 2017 09:00

Easy for some. Some users do not know how to prepare a USB key, move the ISO to it, all the other little steps needed. With a CD, you simply insert it, restart, press F12, choose CD. But again, all good advice on the thread. I just think that several choices for the user is better than only offering one.

The instructions from Dell are quite clear. 

If you think they are confusing, then you as a Dell employee should tell the powers that be how to make it easier.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 1st, 2017 09:00

This misses the point entirely.

If you could  INSTALL WINDOWS 7 WITH DELL OEM MEDIA you would not be here asking for an ISO.

You cant do the procedure below because YOU DO NOT HAVE A DISK TO REINSTALL WIN7. Which is the request of the OP.

"You can use the SLP key with a Windows 7 install. Once Windows 7 is installed, online and activated with OEM SLP you can insert the Windows 10 media and go into the sources folder and look for the gatherosstate.exe. Copy it to the Desktop and launch it, it will create a genuineticket.xml file."

Here is what you need to do to clean install Windows 10 on a computer system.

1.You need a Windows 10 DVD or ISO image for that. If you don't have one get it from here. Download the tool from Microsoft's website to create the ISO image. Make sure you pick the right architecture and version.

2.Burn the ISO, mount it or extract it.

3.Navigate to the folder \Windows\x64\sources or \Windows\x32\sources and drag&drop the file gatherosstate.exe to the desktop.

(This assumes you have windows 7 OEM SLP installed)

4.Run the file as administrator. It creates GenuineTicket.xml on the desktop. This file is needed so copy it to a USB drive or other location.

5.(this part is not stated and its important) The file GenuineTicket.xml on the desktop is hidden by default. If you cannot see it, select File >   Options > View > Hide protected operating system files

6. Save the file to a flash drive and Run a clean install of Windows 10 afterwards on the system. Make sure you skip the product key.

7.Once you are done and in Windows 10, copy the file GenuineTicket.xml to

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket

8.This folder is hidden by default. If you cannot see it, select File > Options > View > Show hidden files, folders and drives in File Explorer.

9.Reboot the PC.

The next time you boot into Windows 10 it should be fully activated. You can verify that easily with a tap on Windows-Pause. This opens the System Control panel and the system's activation status at the bottom of the page.

This method improves the installation process for users who want to clean install Windows 10 as they don't have to upgrade their existing system first before they can run the clean install. It saves them the upgrade process

367 Posts

December 1st, 2017 21:00

I have the official dell oem windows 7 pro 64 bit ISO I made it out of the DVD dell used to include with some models.

drive.google.com/.../view

No Events found!