Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2013 23:00

Install windows XP on Inspiron running Windows 7

I'm really frustrated; I bought a Dell computer because I wanted to run Autocad.  The guy at the store told me Windows 7 would run Autocad.

It doesn't.  Then Dell support told me I needed to run Windows XP in prder to run Autocad and some other software that used to run on Windows 2000.

Is it possible to install windows XP on my external hard drive and boot the computer up without screwing up the Windows 7 that was factory installed?

I'm really disgusted with how much time I have wasted trying to have a system that operates as well as what I had before--even if it was "obsolete."  At least it worked when I needed it!

Also I have seen this problem mentioned on other forums and the problem just went on and on for months...  Some suggest (as did Dell support) that I partition the hard drive and install both OSs (XP and W7) others have said that is bad idea and will slow down operations--obviously it will use up loads of memory...

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

March 19th, 2013 00:00

Hi delphonics,

It can be frustrating when older programs fail to run in Windows 7. Microsoft has released Windows XP Mode with Virtual PC that can run programs designed for Windows XP. You can download Windows XP Mode from the following link:
http://bit.ly/lvAjC

For information on Program Compatibility, please visit the following link:
http://bit.ly/iSchbS

For information and to watch a video on how to make older programs run in Windows 7, please visit the following link:
http://bit.ly/a2po7l

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

5.2K Posts

March 19th, 2013 08:00

Have you tried to run AutoCad in Compatibility mode?

You will need to re-run the installation and run the program in compatibility mode. Right click the installation icon, select the Compatibility Tab, click the box for Compatibility mode and select Windows XP Service Pack 3. Also Click the box for Run as Administrator. After the installation is complete, make the same changes in the Compatibility Tab for the program icon. I have never used AutoCad, but I had been very successful installing many old programs using this technique.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 19th, 2013 09:00

"The guy at the store told me Windows 7 would run Autocad."

It does, but it depends on which version of AutoCAD we're talking about, right?

"Is it possible to install windows XP on my external hard drive and boot the computer up without screwing up the Windows 7 that was factory installed?"

Windows cannot be installed to "removeable" media (external hard disks, flash drives, etc.).  You can dual-boot (suggested in your last paragraph), but that will screw up your ability to restore to factory condition (although you can still reinstall from scratch).  It will NOT "slow down operations".  It will NOT "use up loads of memory" (it will fill around 20GB of disk space though for the initial install, which will grow the more you use it - if you have a hard drive that is big enough, this should not be an issue).  Dual-booting (or installing XP over the top of 7) will require you to have a valid/unused XP license to install.

You can also install XP Mode and run XP INSIDE of Windows 7.  This will not give you quite the performance as running XP directly on the hardware, but if you are running AutoCAD that is that old, it may run just fine in XP Mode.  XP Mode is available in Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate (Pro is a $60-80 upgrade from Home Premium).

KirkD's suggestion will work for many things as well.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 19th, 2013 17:00

It depends what your vocation is... If you are a home user or a student and are using AutoCAD for non-commercial uses, you can download the latest version of AutoCAD for free from AutoDesk which will run on Windows 7: http://students.autodesk.com/

Older versions designed for Windows 2000 won't run well on Vista, 7 or 8.

12 Posts

March 20th, 2013 20:00

Thanks Rajath, also Kirk, and theflash 1932, for suggestions:

I downloaded the XP mode onto my existing Windows 7 Professional.  For a trial, I installed from the disc the Minolta Camera Utility program for my Minolta Camera.  I am glad to say the program works in XP--I can now manipulate my photos.

My question now is how to transfer files that are on my Windows 7 desktop into the XP Mode window?  Can the W7 desktop be accessed from XP or do I have to move files to the XP Mode desktop?

Also, do other programs on W7 have to be reinstalled to work in Virtual XP Mode?? For example Word, etc??

Thanks again... you have been very helpful!

delphonics

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 20th, 2013 21:00

"My question now is how to transfer files that are on my Windows 7 desktop into the XP Mode window?  Can the W7 desktop be accessed from XP or do I have to move files to the XP Mode desktop?"

You can set up shared folders to be accessed by XP Mode ... probably easiest to just follow something like this:

mintywhite.com/.../share-files-host-machine-xp-mode

"Also, do other programs on W7 have to be reinstalled to work in Virtual XP Mode?? For example Word, etc??"

Yes.  XP-Mode is a self-contained, full-blown installation of Windows XP, so anything you want to run in XP, needs to be installed in XP ... this includes its own Antivirus (you can use Microsoft's free Security Essentials).  However, anything you install in XP, can be run directly from Windows 7 (it will show up in your Start Menu under Virtual PC/XP Mode.

12 Posts

March 21st, 2013 22:00

OK, it seemed as if XP Mode was working in W7...until I tried to shut computer down.  It kept rebooting until I finally had to turn it off by holding the button in.

When I turned it back on it would start to open Windows then go to blue screen, shut down, then try to reboot itself.

I went into Safe Mode and did a restore back to before I downloaded XP and Virtual PC programs from MS.

Of course, computer now works--I am back to where I was 3 days ago--I don't have XP Mode anymore!

Now what?  Is it worth trying to reload XP again?  Needless to say, I haven't gotten to try natakuc4's suggestion about Autocad...  

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 21st, 2013 23:00

What was the BSOD stop code?

What model is your PC?

When you installed XP Mode, did you install all three of the updates?

Do you have SP1 installed?

12 Posts

March 24th, 2013 22:00

Thanks for the 4 questions:

Answer to #1 is I don't know what that means;

Answer to #2 is Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 Professional;

Answer to #3 is I followed directions on MS website;

Answer to #4 is What is SP1?

Thanks for help--maybe I should try to download it again?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 24th, 2013 22:00

1. Almost every blue screen has a stop code and four parameters ... looks something like

STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000000, 0xC00E0FF0, 0xFFFFEFD4, 0xC0000000) BAD_POOL_HEADER

The "stop code" is the first part 0x00000019; the description (at the end can be important too, if present).

2. What is the model of your Inpiron?  (N5110, N3010, 1564, etc.)

4. Service Pack 1.  This is a large update for Windows.  Open System Properties by right-clicking [My] Computer, Properties ... it will be in the top section where it says Windows 7 Professional.

12 Posts

March 25th, 2013 11:00

theflash 1932,

1.  Blue screen didn't stay long enough to read message--it would shut down and then reboot over and over until I shut computer off then I restored to a time prior to installing XP--computer works now but no XP

2.  Dell Inspiron 580  service tag [ADMIN NOTE: Service Tag removed per privacy policy]

4.  just says Windows 7 Professional

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 25th, 2013 11:00

Your i3-550 processor supports Intel's VT (Virtualization Technology), so you need to make sure that it is enabled in the BIOS Setup (F2).

You should also make sure your system is up to date, starting with Service Pack 1.

Do this BEFORE reinstalling XP Mode.  When you reinstall it (having done the above), you do NOT need to do Step 4 from Microsoft's site.

www.microsoft.com/.../download.aspx

12 Posts

March 25th, 2013 16:00

I downloaded Service Pack 1 and it seemed to be installing ok but on restart it gave the error message--failed to install, revertiing changes.  I tried it again with same error message.  Now it is listed twice as updates that failed...

How do I install SP-1?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 25th, 2013 16:00

Did you run Windows Update (from the Start Menu)?  There are two updates required before SP1 can be installed.  Run Windows Update and let it update everything in its own time ... it will get to SP1 on its own.

12 Posts

March 27th, 2013 16:00

Yes from the start menu...  Computer says there are 63 updates available but I get failure configuring message each time.  Then "reverting changes."  

No Events found!