Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2006 22:00

Internet Temp, Internet History folders - Where are they?

I have been told by another user that Windows XP Home Edition should have an Internet Temp and Internet History folder.  She said I could pick up certain background music, etc. from that Temp folder and save it on my HD.  I have no such things.  She is also telling me that it is only Dell Computers that don't have them!  I can't see how this could be.  I (and she) use the latest Internet Explorer.  Could someone clear this up for me?  Is somebody off base here?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 14th, 2006 22:00

@Bessie wrote:
She is also telling me that it is only Dell Computers that don't have them!

Tell that other user they don't know what they're talking about. Dell computers use the same XP and IE as everybody else.

You'll find temp internet files under documents and settings, your login name, local settings, temporary internet files. Keep in mind, your docs and settings can be on a drive other than the C drive.

Now the other part of your question is whether you can save certain music or other files. The answer is, It depends on the source and type of file. Many sites "stream" music, but you will not find any resulting file from such a service. However, if you go to a site where you are clicking a link, then WMP opens and plays a song or sound clip, that file is probably saved.

2.9K Posts

March 14th, 2006 23:00

Bessie,

Osprey4 is dead on the money.  Go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\ folder (where username is your current user folder (Username can be different from login name if you changed your login name in Control Panel User Settings after XP was set up).  You will find all types of temporary files.  I quite often scan through mine to find animated icons, pictures and graphics for personal use in graphic presentations.

Think about it a minute.  If Windows XP on a Dell was different from HP, eMachines, Compaq, Acer, IBM, or any other computer manufacturer, how could they all use the same Microsoft Windows Update site?   

Tony

1.4K Posts

March 15th, 2006 02:00

If you need a fairly quick way to open the temporary folder, Go to Start> Run and copy/paste or type       %temp%    in the box and [OK]. The next time you need it, it will be on the Run drop down menu.

2.9K Posts

March 15th, 2006 09:00

Bessie,

Reviewing our responses, I think one of us should have mentionned earlier that to be able to see the Local Settings folder, you should first go to Start|Control Panel|Folder Options and check the "Show hidden files and folders" option and Apply the change. 

Tony

Message Edited by tgsmith on 03-15-2006 06:44 AM

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 15th, 2006 10:00

Oh, yes, the old hidden folders trick. I completely forgot.

Two things I always set in folder options (From Explorer, Tools, Folder Options) in the View tab. Check Show Hidden Files and Folders, and uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.

You can always tell the old-timers. We use Explorer rather than my computer, we call everything a directory (not a folder), and we want to see everything.

300 Posts

March 15th, 2006 11:00

Thanks to all.  Osprey - I, too, am an oldie and use Windows Explorer.  Before that I used File Managerl!  I do have the Show Hidden Folders checked as well as show extentions, etc.  I also knew Windows and Internet Explorer is the same no matter what brand computer you put it on.  The lady I am getting these Dell bashes from is someone I have never met in person - she lives nearly 1000 miles from me.  She also thinks Dell loaded Windows Media Player wrong and wants them to fix it!  The problems her friend's Dell is having does sound funky but I suspect that user has been messing around with his files.  Some years back my own husband would sit at his computer and delete files he didn't think he needed not knowing at all what he was doing.  That was first with Windows 95 and then again with Windows ME when he got HIS first Dell.  He would get himself in trouble and have to keep reloading Windows.  That worked some of the time but you and I both know it is not a good idea to mess around like that.  Eventually there had to be clean installs to make things come back to life.  He now has Windows XP and I think he is leaving his files be.

Thanks for being there.

Bessie   

Message Edited by Bessie on 03-15-2006 05:37 PM

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

March 15th, 2006 12:00

Yet another way:

In IE, click on Tools>Internet Options>General Tab, and in the Temp Internet Files section, click on the Settings button, then View Files. Right-click on any file you wish to save. (The Address Bar will also show the pathfile to your TIF cache.)

A couple of caveats. These are temporary files, by definition, and will be erased by default when performing a Disk Cleanup. There is also an option, in Tools>Internet Options>Advanced, to Empty these Temp files each time you close IE. Make sure this option is unselected if you wish to browse your cache at a later time to recover anything!

300 Posts

March 15th, 2006 20:00

Thanks, joe53.  I had never tried to understand that.  I'll make note of it.

Bessie

No Events found!