Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2010 16:00

Issues with webcam Driver in Vostro V13

Vostro v13 Linux Ubuntu 9.04, Didn't like Ubuntu so I installed Windows 7 Ult 32 bit, It installed driver for webcam, says it is good but webcam software says driver isn't supported. There is no driver  listed for the V13 in dell support for the webcam. tried different drivers from various models , no luck. The driver windows 7 installed is from 2006. Help.

January 19th, 2010 08:00

[quote user="thundertracks"]

Vostro v13 Linux Ubuntu 9.04, Didn't like Ubuntu so I installed Windows 7 Ult 32 bit, It installed driver for webcam, says it is good but webcam software says driver isn't supported. There is no driver  listed for the V13 in dell support for the webcam. tried different drivers from various models , no luck. The driver windows 7 installed is from 2006. Help.

Have you installed all of the updates? What brand of Webcam are you using?

Thanks,
Chris

[/quote]

Can you please use the following KB to use Windows Live Messenger to test the functionality of the webcam?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Seeing-is-believing-Use-a-webcam-to-bring-your-instant-messaging-to-life

Thanks,
Chris

January 19th, 2010 08:00

Have you installed all of the updates? What brand of Webcam are you using?

Thanks,
Chris

12.7K Posts

January 19th, 2010 12:00

"What brand of Webcam are you using? "

It is built into the laptop.

Page 1

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vosV13/en/sfits/sfits_en.pdf

January 19th, 2010 13:00

Updated windows 7 countless times, was online with Dell tech last night about 2 hrs. According to him Dell has no driver for it, Windows 7 comes up with driver, which it did , seems like old driver from june 2006.  I don't know HOW the Windows version of the Vostro V13 operates the webcam.  On the invoice it usually says the brand of webcam , usually Creative,  but this doesn't. Device mgr says webcam is working fine. Tried updating driver, says that driver is the best driver. Tried uninstalling webcam, no good, same result. Asked for drivers disc that comes with Windows version, told me there is no driver disc for Windows. Am installing Ubuntu back in it, to see if the webcam actually works at all.  If I can't get it to work I will return it. Be nice if I could contact someone with a Windows version of the V13, in order to see what driver is loaded in their webcam.

January 20th, 2010 17:00

Loaded Ubuntu 9.04 that came with the V13 from  Dell,  couldn't seem to find anywhere  to turn the webcam on, don't know much about Ubuntu, so I gave up reloaded Windows 7 back in, same thing as before, downloaded Dell webcam software from the Vostro 1320.  Same result, says,   the proper driver is not installed, load Dell resource disc and load proper driver.  On the positive side, I checked the link that Chris provided, (Thanks Chris)  and when I go into tools, then video setup, the webcam turns on and I see my image on the screen. As soon as I close the setup the cam shuts down.  I am starting to think maybe the driver is possibly right for the webcam but the software isn't the right version for my instance. If anyone has a V13 with Windows I would appreciate any info on the driver in the webcam and what version of Dell webcam software you have. Unfortunately Dell doesn't have the webcam software listed on the download page for the V13.   Thanks again,  Chris

1 Message

February 19th, 2010 07:00

Not sure if you've solved this issue or not.  For what it's worth . . .

I did the same thing as you with my v13 - reformatted the HDD and installed Win7 Pro.  What you're experiencing in Win7 is normal and just fine.  The 2006 driver is "okay".  What's missing from the Dell software load is a webcam application, not the webcam driver.  And as far as I can tell, Microsoft really doesn't have a webcam application other than messaging clients that use a webcam.  That's why you could install Live Chat and it found your webcam.

MSI has a free webcam app they call "Simple Camera Applition".  You can find it by searcing for "Wind U120 downloads".  Click on the "Utilities" tab and you'll be able to download the app.  NOTE: MAKE SURE YOU GO TO THE MSI WEBSITE NOT ONE OF THE "DRIVER DOWNLOAD" SITES.

Installing the app may cause some "not compatible with this OS" messages or the like.  Just ignore those, the app will install fine and put a "Camera Recorder" icon on your desktop.  When you open the app, in a few seconds you'll see your smiling face staring back at you.

Hope this helps.

February 20th, 2010 18:00

Downloaded the MSI webcam app, it does work. So the question is, What is Dells problem???  I have a Dell 11Z with the same problem. I tried downloading different Dell versions of their webcam software, NONE of it works, Says Unsupported Webcam sometimes, other times webcam will turn on but if you click on settings nothing is highlighted and says webcam driver is unsupported. Why don't they put the supported version of software that works on their download sight?????????     Forgot to thank  jbinmn for the tip on the MSI webcam software.  Thanks. 

March 18th, 2010 19:00

I have the same problem  but the webcam work after I install the Windows 7 Pro, but the microphone is not working at all, any idea?

Sorry, No idea, I had W7 Pro installed, webcam wouldn't work, I don't think it is the driver, I think it is Dell's software. I loaded that webcam software from MSI Wind another person mentioned, that works. I sent the V13 back and picked up a 11Z, that has the same issues.

I chat with Dell support today, he said that because of the software + driver issue, some system has to run on Unbutu only, not sure if it's true. BTW, my webcam work right after I install Win 7, I use yahoo chat it work find. What you use your webcam for? because if it's work with MSI app, it will work with all the app out there? I just need to fix my microphone driver

March 18th, 2010 20:00

It works with other apps such as Yahoo chat, but won't work Dell webcam central.

what do you tell them? Tell them the web-cam is broken?

I returned the V13, you get a full refund even shipping both ways, 30 days to return Vostros,  the 11z I kept , I like it better than the V13.

you returned them? I might want to do the exchange if the webcam + microphone dont work on the unbutu. I will try install ubutu to see if it work

March 18th, 2010 21:00

Just told them I wasnt happy with it.

No Events found!